Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Poppy Seeds Are an Excellent Source of Minerals!
Poppy seeds not only add a nice crunch to baked goods and desserts, but they also provide nutrients, even with just a small quantity sprinkled on the food item. Having just a teaspoon of this seed provides calcium, iron, and zinc.
I make this poppy seed drink in the evening. This is a very tasty and healthy drink. Drinking a glass of this beverage induces sleep and will help you sleep well. This is one of poppy seeds' miraculous effects.
Now, let me show you how to make this poppy seed payasam.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/4 cup poppy seed, or about 4 tablespoons
- 6-7 cashew nuts, optional, to make it thick and rich
- 1 tablespoon raw white rice
- 3/4 cup jaggery powder, or sugar for sweetness, I used jaggery
- 4 cardamom
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut, for nice flavor
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- A pinch salt, to balance the taste
- Heat ghee in a pan. Keep low heat. Add cashew nuts. Saute them for a few seconds.
- Add raw rice. Saute until the rice gets puffed up a little.
- Throw in poppy seeds and whole cardamom. Continue sauteing till poppy seeds are roasted or till you get a nice aroma. Turn off the stove.
- Add grated coconut. Mix well. Set aside for cooling.
- In the meantime, Mix jaggery in half a cup of water. Heat it. Jaggery melts. Turn off the fire. Strain the mix, collect it in a bowl. Discard the impurities.
- By this time, poppy seed mix would have cooled down. Put the mix into a grinder or mixer. Add some water. Grind to get a very smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a saucepan. Add jaggery that you have collected in the bowl.
- Pour in about 3 1/2 small glasses of water. Add a pinch of salt. Heat the saucepan. Bring the mix to a nice boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring occasionally. Turn off the stove.
- Now, your favorite poppy seed beverage is ready to drink. Consume it hot or warm, as you desire. Enjoy the yummy taste.
A full night's sleep should follow!