Making Poppy Seed Drink (Gasagase Payasa)
Poppy Seed Beverage or Gasagase Payasa
Poppy Seeds are Excellent Source of Minerals!
Poppy seeds not only add a nice crunch to baked goods and desserts, they also provide nutrients, even with just a small quantity sprinkled on the food item. Having just a teaspoon of this seed provides calcium, iron, and zinc.
I make this poppy seed drink in the evening. This is a very tasty and healthy drink. Drinking a glass of this beverage induces sleep and will help you sleep well. This is one poppy seeds' miraculous effects.
Now, let me show you how to make this poppy seed payasam.
- 1/4 cup poppy seed, or about 4 tbsp
- 6-7 cashew nuts, optional, to make it thick and rich
- 1 tbsp raw white rice
- 3/4 cup jaggery powder, or sugar for sweetness, I used jaggery
- 4 cardamom
- 2 tbsp grated coconut, for nice flavor
- 1 tsp ghee
- a pinch salt, to balance the taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Poppy Seed Drink or Gasagase Payasa
- Heat ghee in a pan. Keep low heat. Add cashew nuts. Saute them for a few seconds.
- Add raw rice. Saute till rice gets puffed up a little.
- Throw in poppy seeds and whole cardamom. Continue sauteing till poppy seeds are roasted or till you get a nice aroma. Turn off the stove.
- Add grated coconut. Mix well. Set aside for cooling.
- In the mean time, Mix jaggery in half a cup of water. Heat it. Jaggery melts. Turn off the fire. Strain the mix, collect it in a bowl. Discard the impurities.
- By this time, poppy seed mix would have cooled down. Put the mix into a grinder or mixer. Add some water. Grind to get a very smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a sauce pan. Add jaggery that you have collected in the bowl.
- Pour in about 3 1/2 small glasses of water. Add a pinch of salt. Heat the sauce pan. Bring the mix to a nice boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring occasionally. Turn off the stove.
- Now, your favorite poppy seed beverage is ready to drink. Consume it hot or warm, as you desire. Enjoy the yummy taste.
A full night's sleep is guaranteed!