How to Make Smoothies Without Yogurt
Non-Dairy Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Whether or not you suffer from lactose intolerance, you will enjoy the creamy texture and mellow flavor of this smoothie. Quick and easy to make, every ingredient will nourish and strengthen your body.
Almonds provide sustained energy and fill you up, thus controlling appetite. An ideal brain food, almonds benefit the memory, promote softer skin and regulate blood pressure. Almonds soaked overnight, the method used in this smoothie recipe, are easier to digest and assimilate. Ayurvedic wisdom recommends soaking seeds for easier assimilation of B vitamins and proteins.
Smoothies are a great way to "sneak" healthy fruits and veggies into the picky eater's diet. For those with dietary restrictions, this smoothie is gluten-free, raw, vegan, dairy-free and can be made sodium-free and sugar-free. I like to toss in a handful of baby spinach to my smoothies for an extra dose of folic acid and iron.
"In fresh fruit, vegetables and nuts are all the vitamins, minerals and high-grade proteins the human body needs to bring it to a state of physical perfection and to maintain it in that state indefinitely."— Dr. Herbert Shelton, M.D. and author of "Superior Nutrition"
Save Money With Raw Almonds
Choosing raw almonds rather than almond milk will save you money and time. You won't need to add it to your grocery list. You won't have to recycle empty cartons. And homemade almond milk is preservative-free.
The average price for almond milk is $2.50 for a 32-ounce carton or 4 cups of almond milk. Once it has been opened, almond milk stored in the refrigerator will spoil within 3 weeks.
Raw almonds can be stored in the refrigerator for months and for up to a year in the freezer. If you buy almonds at $4 a pound, the 2 cups of almond milk you blend into this smoothie come out to around 35 cents. That's a savings of 72%!
- If you have it, you can substitute 2 cups of almond milk for the almonds and water in the recipe.
- In the case of almond sensitivity, you can substitute 1/2 cup sesame seeds for the almonds.
- A pinch of sea salt brings out flavor so your smoothie doesn't taste bland. You may find you don't need even a sweetener.
- If you'd like a sweeter smoothie, add a tablespoon or two of raw sugar, honey or agave. Another option is a little stevia. You could also toss in a few dried, pitted dates in step 3 of the instructions.
- Throw in a handful of baby spinach for a green smoothie. You won't even taste the greens! This is a great way to get vegetables into a finicky eater's diet.
- Blend almonds with just 1/2 cup of water for the smoothest texture.
- See "smoothie add-ins" at the end of this page for more nutritious ideas.
- With the method outlined below, you don't need a powerful blender. However, if you make smoothies daily, a powerful and durable blender would be a wise investment.
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, about 40 almonds
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oatmeal, raw
- 1 cup papaya chunks (or strawberries), fresh or frozen
- 1 cup mango (or peach) chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt, optional (see tips)
- Sweetener, optional (see tips)
- Handful of ice cubes
- Place the almonds in a container and soak them overnight in clean, room-temperature water.
- In the morning, rinse the almonds and pour them into a blender container.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of oatmeal. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. If necessary, add another tablespoon or two of water while blending.
- Add the rest of the water, fruit, vanilla, salt, ice cubes and sweetener, if using.
- Blend on high 1-2 minutes longer, until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Smoothie Without Yogurt
- For sharper vision: 1 cup of fresh spinach leaves contain 56% daily allowance of Vitamin A.
- Improved energy and libido: 1 tablespoon of maca powder.
- Heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids: 1 tablespoon of flaxseed.
- Protect skin from ultraviolet light damage with 1/2 cup of blackberries or raspberries, which are high in ellagic acid.
- Raise serotonin levels in the brain with 1 tablespoon of cacao powder (cacao also happens to contain 4 times the antioxidants of green tea).
- Get 6 extra grams of protein with 1 large raw, organic egg.
- Regulate sugar levels and boost energy with 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.