Strawberry Banana Milkshake Recipe
Light and refreshing, strawberries and bananas combined make a terrific milkshake. Made with whole milk and full-fat ice cream, this milkshake recipe does have a lot of calories, but it also packs a powerful vitamin punch and is very easily adapted to make it healthier. It is also a great way to sneak some fruit into your diet.
The four ingredients that make up this milkshake not only taste great, but they are terrific sources of vitamins too.
- Strawberries - are a nutritional powerhouse. They are an excellent source of Vitamin C, Folate and Manganese. They are also a good source of fiber with one serving (1 cup) providing 12% of the daily recommended value. Best of all, they taste great.
- Bananas - are another great source of Vitamin C, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. One medium banana provides 12% of the daily recommended value of dietary fiber. They also add a creaminess to milkshakes.
- Whole milk - is loaded with vitamins and minerals. One serving is a great source of Calcium and Vitamin D.
- Ice Cream - is low in Sodium and is a good source of Calcium and Vitamin A.
Combined together, these ingredients make a milkshake that is hard to beat.
How do you like this milkshake?
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, frozen
- In a blender, place the frozen strawberries on the bottom, then add the bananas and top with the ice cream. Pour the milk over the top.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 tall glasses and enjoy. Top with whipped cream if desired.
- If the milkshake is too thin, add a bit more ice cream or another frozen strawberry. If it is too thick, add a bit more milk.
- The nutrition facts below are for whole milk and full-fat ice cream. An easy way to lighten this milkshake up is to use low-fat milk and low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt.
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Carbohydrates 53 g||18%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 11 g||22%|
|Cholesterol 58 mg||19%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The history of milkshakes
Did you know that the original milkshake was actually more like a cocktail? In the late 1800s the milkshake was made of whiskey, milk and eggs. Over the years, the whiskey was removed and other things like syrups, ice cream and malt, were added. Today, the endless variations of milkshakes include drinks like frappes or smoothies.
Substitutions and Variations
One of the things I like the most about this milkshake is that it is not overly sweet, but if you tend to like things sweeter then try one of these variations on the standard recipe. They are all delicious.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam for the frozen strawberries.
- Substitute fresh strawberries for frozen ones. The shake may be thinner.
- Substitute strawberry ice cream for the vanilla.
- Substitute chocolate ice cream for the vanilla.
- Substitute banana ice cream for the vanilla.
- Substitute coconut milk for milk.
- Add 2 tablespoons of powdered chocolate drink mix.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Sprinkle a few mini semisweet chocolate chips on top.
A rich and creamy treat, a strawberry banana milkshake is sure to put a smile on anyone's face. Great for an after school treat or a special occasion, try this recipe next time you have a craving for something sweet!
© 2012 Glimmer Twin Fan
More by this Author
This is a recipe for a traditional German Apple Cake. It is simple to make and delicious! Easy to follow instructions and photos are provided.
With a flavor combination that is beloved by many, this chocolate peanut butter milkshake recipe is sure to satisfy everyone. Easy to follow instructions are included.
These easy recipes require only a box of cake mix, and a mix-in. That's it, 2 ingredients that you probably have on hand. You'll find 20 enticing combinations with instructions and photos.