Sweet Cherry-Lime Mojitos
Mojitos in Summer—Need I Say More?
Tank tops, shorts, sunglasses, hats, and sand—this can only mean one thing: Summer is here! I generally love the warm part of the year and the sun-kissed skin it comes with.
One day, it was really hot outside. I set up the pool benches and the big umbrella we have while I waited for him. My husband came out of the house with two jars on a tray. I basically jumped and clapped when I saw what he was carrying.
The jar had some cherries, a few slices of lime, a few leaves of mint, some red liquid, a colorful straw, and a big chunk of ice. I ended up spending the afternoon with my husband by our pool. It was a genius the way he made the drink. He loves cherries, and I am betting that the handful he used in the beverage came from our yard. I, on the other hand, just can't live without lime. It's my favorite ingredient, my favorite drink, and my favorite flavor. Yes, we have one growing in our yard, as well. The mint, the ice, and the alcohol—it all works! I now know what to do when the blazing heat starts bearing down: Turn that annoyingly hot day into a relaxing summer afternoon. The trick is in the combination of cherry, lime, and mint in addition to making the mojitos in a big jar. Oh, and don't forget the ice! With this drink in my hand, summer is shaping up to be my favorite time of the year again.
- 8 ounces citrus-flavored rum, I like Bacardi limon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cup pitted fresh sweet dark cherries, reserve some for garnish
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- club soda, chilled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup cherry juice
- Mix lime juice, cherries, cherry juice, sugar, and mint leaves.
- Muddle mixture until ingredients are mixed well. Stir in rum.
- Fill serving glass with ice. Add mixture to serving glass and top off with club soda. Top with a few mint leaves and cherries. Serve immediately.