Coconut Oil in Coffee : Benefits and Recipe
Coconut oil in coffee?
The idea of coconut oil in coffee might sound strange at best - and unappealing at worst. But believe it or not, it whips up to a beautiful, frothy, satisfying hot drink - with some surprising health benefits.
The health benefits of coconut oil
With its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, coconut oil has been gaining a reputation as a superfood. Coconut oil might help to:
- reduce hunger
- boost metabolism
- improve immune system
- support proper brain function
- maintain healthy skin and hair
- regulate blood sugar
- increase energy levels
- balance hormones
- improves digestion
What you need to make coconut coffee
- a fresh cup of coffee (or tea if you're not a coffee-drinker)
- one to two tablespoons of coconut oil (start with one and work your way up until you've found the amount that works best for you)
- two to three tablespoons of coconut milk
- a few squares of 80% dark chocolate
- spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
How to make your coconut coffee
Brew a cup of coffee using your favourite method - I usually use my french press. Add the coconut oil and coconut milk and let it melt in the hot coffee.
I also often add a shake of cinnamon for flavour. Sometimes I also add a tablespoon of ghee or a few squares of dark chocolate for extra richness. Some days I forgo the coffee altogether and make coconut chai tea, which is just as delicious.
Now, if you stop here, with coconut oil floating in your hot drink, then you'll have a hard time gagging it down. The oil will pool at the top of your coffee, leaving you with a slimy, viscous and decidedly unappealing drink.
The trick is to mix it well, using an immersion blender, a counter-top blender or a milk frother. After a few minutes, you'll have a beautifully-lightened, creamy, cappuccino-like cup of heaven.
But does coconut coffee really have health benefits?
In my n=1 experiment, I say YES!
Here are some things that I've noticed since I've started drinking coconut coffee or tea every morning for breakfast:
- My skin is softer and less dry and itchy at night.
- I'm left feeling full and satisfied until lunch time, with no hunger pangs or thoughts of food.
- I've been sleeping better at night.
- My brain has seemed calmer, more creative and more productive. I've written more in the past two months than I did in the two years prior to this!
- I have steadier, higher energy, with no mid-afternoon slump.
- I wake up in the morning looking forward to my hot drink.
If you're looking to increase your energy or manage your weight, then coffee with coconut oil is well worth a try!