Coconut Oil in Coffee: Benefits and Recipe
Coconut Oil in Coffee?
The idea of coconut oil in coffee might sound strange at best and unappealing at worst. But believe it or not, it whips up to a beautiful, frothy, satisfying hot drink—with some surprising health benefits.
The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
With its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, coconut oil has been gaining a reputation as a superfood. Coconut oil might help to:
- reduce hunger
- boost metabolism
- improve immune system
- support proper brain function
- maintain healthy skin and hair
- regulate blood sugar
- increase energy levels
- balance hormones
- improves digestion
- 1 cup freshly made coffee
- 1-2 tbsp. coconut oil, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. coconut milk, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp. 80% dark chocolate, optional
- a pinch nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon, optional
- Brew a cup of coffee using your favourite method—I usually use my french press. Add the coconut oil and coconut milk and let it melt in the hot coffee.
- I also often add a shake of cinnamon for flavour. Sometimes I also add a tablespoon of ghee or a few squares of dark chocolate for extra richness. Some days I forgo the coffee altogether and make coconut chai tea, which is just as delicious.
- Now, if you stop here, with coconut oil floating in your hot drink, then you'll have a hard time gagging it down. The oil will pool at the top of your coffee, leaving you with a slimy, viscous and decidedly unappealing drink.
- The trick is to mix it well, using an immersion blender, a counter-top blender or a milk frother. After a few minutes, you'll have a beautifully-lightened, creamy, cappuccino-like cup of heaven.
But does coconut coffee really have health benefits?
In my n=1 experiment, I say YES!
Here are some things that I've noticed since I've started drinking coconut coffee or tea every morning for breakfast:
- My skin is softer and less dry and itchy at night.
- I'm left feeling full and satisfied until lunch time, with no hunger pangs or thoughts of food.
- I've been sleeping better at night.
- My brain has seemed calmer, more creative and more productive. I've written more in the past two months than I did in the two years prior to this!
- I have steadier, higher energy, with no mid-afternoon slump.
- I wake up in the morning looking forward to my hot drink.
If you're looking to increase your energy or manage your weight, then coffee with coconut oil is well worth a try!