Mrs Frugal is a freelance writer who enjoys making and creating simple and delicious recipes. She can often be found in the kitchen.
Chorizo and cheddar breakfast burritos are a quick and easy way to get breakfast on the table or with you on the go. They're also great for overnight guests because they can be easily made the night before and then quickly reheated in the morning.
If you've never tasted chorizo, it's a pork sausage that is an orange-red color and spiced with paprika and a variety of other spices. It has its own flavor, but it's generally not spicy and also very affordable. The chorizo I use in this recipe is the Mexican soft sausage chorizo that is encased, not the cured chorizo.
Cheddar cheese pairs well with chorizo, adding a creamy and delicious flavor. If you like things hot, you can switch out the cheddar for pepper jack or another spicy cheese. Also feel free to add other additions like chives, green onions, sweet peppers, potatoes, hot peppers, etc. By using this basic recipe, you can make a variety of burritos that suit your taste.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 medium burritos
- 2 Mexican chorizo sausages, encased
- 3 mild cheddar cheese, slices or shredded
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 small or medium flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Place your skillet on medium-low heat. Remove the casing from the chorizo, and put the chorizo in the pan. Begin to break up the meat into pieces with a spatula, or spoon. Cook for 7 minutes.
- While the chorizo is cooking, beat the eggs and spices in a bowl until mixed.
- After the chorizo has cooked for 7 minutes or until done, you can drain the grease or keep it in the pan. I personally keep the grease, but it is your choice. Then add your eggs and continue to cook on medium-low heat, until the eggs begin to set.
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking, cover them with the cheese and put a lid over the pan. Keep the lid on the pan until the cheese has melted. Then remove the lid and pan from the burner.
- Heat your tortillas and then divide your egg and cheese mixture in quarters. Place one-fourth of the mixture on each warm tortilla. Fold your tortillas into a burrito and serve whole, or cut in half. Enjoy!
Read More From Delishably
© 2013 Mrs Frugal