A Guide to Making Soft Rava Idli or Semolina Dumplings
Rava Idli (Semolina Dumplings)
A Quick and Instant Breakfast
Making a breakfast sometimes needs prior planning, especially if the recipe needs fermentation. Rava idli is an instant dish. You don't need to ferment this batter. I used medium-size rava (cream of wheat), yogurt, and fruit salt, along with the spices to make these idlis.
Now I am eager to share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1 1/2 cups medium-size rava or semolina(cream of wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or thick curds, medium sour
- 1 tsp split chickpea/gram dal
- 1 tsp white lentils
- 8-10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ghee or oil
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp fruit salt/cooking soda, I used Eno fruit salt
- 2 pinches hing powder/asafoetida
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Rava Idli or Semolina Dumplings
- Dry saute semolina in a deep bottomed pan for about 5 minutes on a low heat. Don't roast it. Keep aside for cooling.
- When it turns almost to room temperature, add yogurt, half a cup of water, and salt. Mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- By this time, the semolina absorbs moisture and the batter becomes thick. Adjust the batter consistency by adding water. Stir well.
- Take ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add split chickpeas/gram dal and white lentils. Saute till they become golden brown.
- Turn off the heat. Add chopped curry leaves and hing powder. Mix well. Pour the tempering on the batter. Mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds. Heat the steamer for making idlis.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves to the batter. Throw in cooking soda or fruit salt. Give a gentle stir.
- The batter increases in volume and becomes light. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into each idli mould. Arrange the idli stand. Keep it inside the steamer. Close the lid.
- Steam-cook them on high-heat for about 12 minutes. Afterwards, turn off the heat. Set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid. Take out the idli stand. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the idlis. Keep aside for 5-8 minutes.
- Separate the idlis from the moulds by running a blunt knife or spoon handle through the edge.
- Your favorite soft rava idlis are ready. Serve three of them in a plate with a spicy chutney or sauce.
- They remain soft even when they turn cold. Enjoy eating these yummy idlis!
Nutritional Information of Rava Idli
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 58 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|