Cream of Wheat With a Twist, More Protein, Less Sugar
The Original Malt-O-Meal, Hot Wheat Cereal Now for Workout Recovery
Creamy Wheat; Messing With the Tried and True; More Protein; No Added sugar
Yes, I’m messing with an old standby that many have enjoyed for generations. Commonly known as cream of wheat, it is also referred to as creamy wheat, farina or semolina, and is usually topped with fruits, nuts, brown sugar, or honey.
One day a few years ago, I was looking through the cupboards for something to eat. Apparently, I hadn’t been shopping for a while, and the shelves were empty except for a box of cream of wheat and an old lady named Hubbard. The cereal must have been left there by my sons, because I hadn’t liked it since I was a kid. I checked the refrigerator and discovered a few more odds and ends.
I put the butter, eggs and cheese on the counter beside the box of cream of wheat and scratched my head. Would it blow up? I mean, this would be going against convention. Would I get sick? I donned my pioneering spirit and went to work.
The result was a hardy meal that kept me satisfied for hours. I’ve added some ingredients since that first attempt. Make the cream of wheat according to the instructions on the box.
Montana, Cream of the West, Whole wheat, hot cerealClick thumbnail to view full-size
Whole wheat, Hot Cereal
If you are a person who enjoyes whole grains, here is a whole grain, hot wheat cereal that I found while residing in Montana for the last month. It definitely has a deeper, richer flavor than those that don’t include the entire wheat grain. The name of the product is Montana’s Cream of the West, 100% Roasted Wheat.
The box also includes a great ginger cookie recipe using the wheat cereal to replace some of the flour.
Cooking with Chris
Ingredients for Cream of Wheat With a Twist
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cream of wheat
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (If desired)
- (Follow box instructions for multiple servings)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup of cheese of your choice (Adjust amount to your personal taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optiona#1: Bacon bits and croutons. These can be added at the time of preparation or served at the table as toppings. You might place these in bowls at the center of the table so your family can add them as needed while they eat.
- Option#2: Add one chicken breast tender per serving of Cream of Wheat With A Twist. Bake at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until internal temperature is at least 165 degrees. Using two forks, pull the chicken until it is thoroughly shredded. Add to the bowl of Cream of Wheat With A Twist.
This will add 165 calories, 31 grams protein and 3.6 grams fat.
How It’s Done
Yes, I realize that in the video I stuck the bottom of the pan in the bowl of cream of wheat...I meant to do that...
- While the cereal is boiling, crack one egg into the saucepan and stir with a wire whisk immediately so that it blends and cooks throughout the cereal. Keep stirring, and be ready to turn down the heat if it looks like it will boil over. Add the butter and stir until it has melted. Add the cheese and continue stirring. Add croutons and bacon bits now or serve them at the table.
- If you have made cream of wheat before, you will understand why I encourage you to rinse out the saucepan, whisk and serving spoon immediately after transferring the cream of wheat meal into a bowls. It sets up like cement very quickly. (Notation added 6/28/2018: A reader by the name of Melissa offered this suggestion in the comments below. "If you butter the pan before you start the cream of wheat, it washes out much more easily." Thanks, Melissa.
Cream of Wheat With A Twist
|Serving size: 2|
|Calories from Fat||432|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 48 g||74%|
|Saturated fat 28 g||140%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 100 g||33%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 24 g||48%|
|Cholesterol 309 mg||103%|
|Sodium 417 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Hot and Filling on a Cold Winter Day
If you’re on a diet, pass this one up or cut the butter and cheese down or completely out. But it is winter in half the world.When you and the kids come inside from sledding or skiing, you’ll want something quick that will warm you through and through. Cream of Wheat With a Twist will do just that.