Amazing, Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Pancake Recipe
Everybody loves a good pancake. The French have crepes; the Polish have nalesniki. Some cultures make them from corn, some from potatoes, and others from chickpea flour. In addition to all of those yummy cakes cooked in a pan, here in the United States we enjoy the traditional, fluffy, golden brown cakes served up by diners and moms across the land. Elsewhere, they may prefer a different sort, but these are my favorite.
I created this pancake recipe from the traditional white flour recipe found in most kitchens. I wanted to make them a bit healthier by adding whole wheat flour, oats, and yogurt. Fruit is always a good idea, so I pureed some bananas and added them to the mix. It was a technique that worked and leads to a fluffy, delicious pancake.
What do you think?
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, Quaker Old Fashioned Oats work well.
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar, 3T. will lead to sweet pancakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 - 2 bananas, Depending on the size and how much you like bananas.
- additional fresh fruit or nuts, (optional)
Mixing It Up...
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. An electric mixer works best, as the bananas should be completely pureed into the mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Don't over mix! Over mixing creates tough pancakes.
- Let the batter stand while the griddle heats up.
- Scoop the batter onto the hot griddle and flatten slightly if necessary. This batter will be thick.
- Let the pancakes cook until you see air bubbles popping and they are golden brown. Flip and cook until the second side is golden brown.
Mix and Blend the IngredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Combine the Wet and Dry Ingredients
Whisk and CookClick thumbnail to view full-size
Enjoy these delicious pancakes with maple syrup or jam.
Mix nuts or fruit, such as blueberries, into the batter.
Use flavored yogurt instead of plain. (Definitely use only 2 tablespoons of sugar if you choose this option, as the flavored yogurt will add sweetness too.)
Make these vegan by using flax eggs (1T of ground flaxseed mixed with 3T of water = 1 egg) and subbing almond milk for the milk and yogurt. I have made these substitutions many times with brilliant success!
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Donna Hilbrandt