Banana Chocolate Chip Streusel Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
I love muffins. Moist muffins, muffins from scratch, muffins fresh from the oven— they're all my friends. I think if I had to pick, banana muffin recipes would be my favorite. I enjoy making homemade muffins, especially with plain or pretty baking cups. The baking liners make clean up and life-in-general easier but unwrapping a muffin to eat is like unwrapping a yummy little gift. The simplicity of this easy coffee cake muffin recipe is a treat that's almost as sweet as the final muffins. Bananas and chocolate are meant to be together. They go together kind of like peanut butter and jelly. If you've never had the pleasure of trying bananas and chocolate (or chocolate and bananas), this recipe is a perfect place to start.
Have You Had Streusel Before?
What Is Streusel?
What does the word "streusel" mean? You may have had streusel before and just don't know it. Technically, streusel can be a topping or filling that is usually made from sugar, fat, and flour. The topping of this muffin recipe is made of just that—brown sugar, butter, and flour. It forms a crumbly topping that crisps up nicely in the oven. The streusel in this recipe also transforms what would be ordinary banana muffins into decadent little treats worthy of serving in place of coffee cake.
Ingredients Needed for Muffin Batter
Are You Out of Brown Sugar?
If you don't have brown sugar on hand, you can make your own! All you'll need is white, granulated sugar and molasses. Add one tablespoon of molasses to one cup of sugar and mix with an electric mixer. Voilà! Instant brown sugar without running to the store!
More Than Just Another Banana Muffin Recipe
Ingredients for Banana Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2–3 bananas, ripe and mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Instructions for Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line muffin pan with 12 baking cup liners and set to the side.
- Peel and slice bananas into a small bowl. Mash.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add bananas, egg, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
- Combine dry ingredients in the third bowl. Gradually add dry ingredients to the banana mixture. Combine well.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin liners. Set aside.
Simple Muffin Recipe
Ingredients Needed for Streusel Crumble Topping
Baking Recipes with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for Streusel
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Instructions for Streusel
- Combine all ingredients except mini chocolate chips. Beat well with an electric mixer until the mixture is crumbly.
- Fold in chocolate chips and stir until distributed. Use an electric mixer again briefly to recreate crumbs if necessary.
- Spoon onto tops of muffins, distributing evenly.
- Bake muffins 20–25 muffins or until lightly golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes then remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.
Muffins with Topping
Ready, Set, Bake!
Tips for Making the Perfect Banana Muffins and Chocolate Chip Streusel
- Let your butter soften. Don't melt it.
- Use very ripe bananas. The riper the sweeter.
- Always store brown sugar in an air-tight container. If yours is a delicious fossil, try zapping it briefly in the microwave to bring it back to life.
- Keep mini chocolate chips in the refrigerator until it's time to use them. This will prevent them from prematurely melting and ruining your crumble topping mixture.
Banana and Chocolate Chip Streusel Muffins
Nutritional Information for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin
|Serving size: 1 muffin|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 35 mg||12%|
|Sodium 90 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Rate this Recipe!
My favorite part of this muffin is definitely the crumbly streusel topping. The developed flavor is impressive considering the small amount of time and effort needed to pull off these muffins. This recipe yields twelve muffins, but they barely last twelve hours in my household. After you initially test-drive this recipe, you just may find yourself doubling it every time after. If you're looking for an easy banana muffin recipe or just yummy muffin recipes in general, this is one that delivers and satisfies. I hope you love these happy little muffins as much as I do.
Chocolate and Banana Breakfast Muffins
© 2013 Heather Lavelle