Breakfast Bread Pudding Recipe
BREAD PUDDING FOR BREAKFAST?
Oh yes - this is a wonderfully put together recipe that you can even assemble the night before and bake in the morning. It is much like French toast but then more like - well, bread pudding! It makes a great breakfast during the holidays and fresh fruit makes it even healthier!
BREAKFAST BREAD PUDDING RECIPE
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs (equivalent egg substitute = 1/2 cup)
- 3 large egg whites (or use egg white substitute)
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 8 slices light oatmeal bread, toasted
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- If blueberries and raspberries are not available, use your imagination and try different fresh fruits, thawed drained frozen fruits or blueberries and raspberries or try juice-poached apple chunks or canned peaches, etc) Any fruit works with the bread pudding!
- Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, whole eggs (or egg substitute), egg whites (or egg white substitute), half and half, vanilla and salt in a pourable measuring cup or medium bowl – whisk to combine.
- Put 4 slices of toasted bread in bottom of the baking pan.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread.
- Top with the other 4 pieces of toasted bread.
- Pour the other half of the egg mixture over that.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Recipe can be made ahead to this point – cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place baking pan above in a slightly larger pan.
- Set the pan(s) on the oven rack and pour enough hot water into the larger baking pan to come halfway up the outside of the smaller baking pan.
- Bake until pudding is set and top is puffed and golden – about 40 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Toss your fruits and add remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar if desired in medium bowl.
- Serve warm pudding topped with berries or fruit.
Per serving - 6 servings total
224 calories, 10% from fat
0.5 g saturated fat
2.5 g total fat
Basic Bread Pudding Recipe
This recipe is just a basic recipe for dessert type bread pudding. As the video points out, you can add things like raisins, apples, walnuts, almonds - or try more specific recipes for certain types of bread pudding. There are also links to non-dessert bread puddings that are equally delicious!
You can also add sauces such as caramel sauce, whiskey sauce, or bourbon sauce to top off this wonderfully delicious dessert.
- 2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half) - or 2 cups 2% or skim milk.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 3 eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Over medium heat in saucepan, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. (This is scalding the milk)
- Combine butter and milk, stirring until the butter is melted.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk mixture.
- Place the bread in a 1-1/2 quart casserole sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with raisins or mix in fruit and nuts here if desired.
- Pour batter on top of bread.
- As in video, push bread and fruit down into batter to drench bread and fruit in the egg mixture as much as possible but it will float back up and expand a bit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm.