Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Some Information About Dhoklas
Dhoklas are amazing steamed snacks. They are sumptuous, aromatic, and tasty. There are many dhokla varieties. They are made with semolina or gram flour or split mung beans. All these dhoklas are healthy and fat-free.
How to make split mung beans(moong dal) dhokla:
For making split mung bean dhokla, you have to soak the beans in water for 2-3 hours. Then, grind them with ginger and green chilies until you get a smooth and pourable batter. Add some gram flour and salt. Mix the batter with your hand. Cover it and let it rest for three hours.
Add sugar, turmeric powder, hing/asafetida, oil, and curd to the batter. Gently mix them. Add Eno fruit salt or cooking soda. Give a quick stir. Pour the batter into the greased container. Steam in a cooker or steamer for 10-12 minutes.
Now, prepare a tempering for the dhokla. Heat some oil in a small hand pan. Throw mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and curry leaves. Let them crackle. Add a pinch of hing. Pour 4 table spoon water to it. Add chopped green chilies. Mix well. Let the mix boil for 10 seconds. Turn off the fire. Pour the tempering evenly on top. Also, sprinkle some grated coconut on the surface. After 5 minutes, cut them in desired shapes. Eat them hot with green chutney or tomato sauce. They are very tasty!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 3/4 cup split mung beans/yellow moong dal, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- a pinch hing/asafetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 2 tbsp yogurt or thick curd
- 1 1/2 tsp fruit salt, or cooking soda
- 1 tbsp oil, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, for the tempering
- a pinch hing, for the tempering
- 2 tsp chopped green chilies, for the tempering
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Split Mung Beans Dhokla:
- Soak split mung beans in water for 2-3 hours. Grind them with ginger and green chilies to get a smooth batter. Add some water while grinding. The batter should be pouring consistency. Collect the batter in a bowl. Add gram flour and salt. Mix the batter with your hand. Cover the the batter. Rest it for 3 hours.
- Open the cover. Add sugar, hing, oil, turmeric powder, and curd/yogurt. Mix well.
- Grease the cooker/steamer container with oil. Keep the steamer/cooker ready.
- Add fruit salt to the batter. Gently mix once. The batter raises in volume. Pour it into the greased container. Place it inside the steamer. Keep the fire high. Don't use the cooker weight, if you are using a cooker. Cook for 10-12 minutes or till it cooks. Turn off the fire. Take the container out.
- Now, prepare tempering for the dhokla. Heat oil in a small hand pan. Throw mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and curry leaves. Let mustard crackle. Add hing and chopped green chilies. Pour water. Bring it to a boil. Turn off the fire. Pour it evenly on top of the dhokla. Garnish them with chopped coriander leaves.
- Cut dhokla in cubes or in desired shapes. Eat hot dhokla with green coriander/mint chutney or with tomato sauce. Enjoy the taste!