Classic English Scones
Light, Fluffy, and Easy to Make!
If you grew up in Britain (or in a country that was once colonized by the British, like I did in South Africa), then you probably know a scone as being round, fluffy, and a tad bit sweet. It is similar to American "biscuits," but English scones are not savory and are made with butter. I learned how to make them from my grandmother, and I recall my great grandmother also eating them with her afternoon tea!
They are perfect to eat when cut in half while still warm from the oven–topped with a bit of whipped fresh cream (or clotted cream), jam (preserve), grated cheddar cheese, or even with a bit of honey drizzled over them.
But my personal favorite is to eat the just as they are, freshly baked with a serving of butter on top. Delicious!
Even the Queen loves these!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- 150g butter cut up into little cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg (for brushing)
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F
- Mix dry ingredients together then add butter until the mixture is crumbly (not sticky).
- Add milk and vanilla extract.
- Knead until well combined, then roll out your dough onto a flat, flour-dusted surface until its about 5cm/2" thick and cut circles (if you don't have a cookie cutter, use a glass tumbler).
- Place onto a nonstick baking tray and brush egg onto the tops and bake for about 10 minutes (leave for an extra 5 if they are not ready - you can tell by poking them with a toothpick - if it comes out dry its ready).
- Serve warm, sliced in halves and toppings added.
These scones can also be frozen after baking to enjoy at another time!
Teatime Scones with Jam
- You could also add raisins or nuts to the mix to variate these scones.
- For a healthier option wholewheat flour or brown four can be substituted instead of white flour.
- For savory scones cut out the sugar and add in grated cheddar.
- For vegan scones leave out the dairy and use vegan substitutes such as vegan butter and nut milk.
So quick and simple, they're great for Sunday breakfasts!
English Butter Scones
Are you ready to make quick, easy and delicious scones?
Questions & Answers
© 2018 From The Heart