How to Make Cabbage Dumplings (Cabbage Muthiya) With Jowar Flour
Guilt-Free Steamed Dumplings: Cabbage Jowar Muthiya
Starting the day with a healthy and delicious breakfast will give you abundant satisfaction. Cabbage jowar muthiya is a nutritious dish that has the goodness of both vegetables and grains. Because this dish is cooked with steam, you won't use any oil.
In addition, steamed muthiyas are sautéed in cumin and curry leaves tempering, which gives the dish a nice aroma and a wonderful crispiness. The spices added to the dough, such as ginger, garlic, and asafoetida (hing), make these bite-sized dumplings flavorful and appetizing. Serve them hot with a spicy dip or sauce.
You can also pack them for lunch at the office, a picnic, or other outings. Children love to find this snack in their school lunchboxes.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 heaped cup cabbage, grated
- 1 heaped cup jowar flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt or thick curd
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped and divided
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing) powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
For the tempering:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Heat water in a steamer or pressure cooker.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the ginger, garlic, and green chilis. Pulse to make a paste. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add jowar flour, cabbage, yogurt or curd, 1 tbsp coriander leaves, ginger-garlic-green chili paste, lemon juice, turmeric powder, sugar, asafoetida powder, and salt.
- Knead, adding water little by little, to get a firm and pliable dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a cylindrical rod of about 1-inch diameter.
- Place them on a greased plate. Steam-cook for 20 minutes.
- Slice into 1/2 inch thick pieces. These are muthiyas.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Add oil. Throw in cumin seeds and curry leaves. Let them sizzle. Add muthiya slices. Saute them, while tossing in between, till they turn light brown and crispy. Turn off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Yummy cabbage and jowar muthiyas are ready!
- Serve them with a spicy dip or sauce. Enjoy eating.