How to Make Cabbage Dumplings (Cabbage and Jowar Muthiya)
Cabbage and Jowar Muthiya (Cabbage Dumplings)
Guilt-Free Steamed Dumplings: Cabbage Jowar Muthiya
Starting the day with a healthy and delicious breakfast will give you abundant satisfaction. Cabbage jowar muthiya is a nutritious dish that has the goodness of both vegetables and grain. Because this dish is cooked with steam, you won't use any oil.
More than that, steamed muthiyas are sautéed in cumin and curry leaves tempering. This gives the dish a nice aroma and a wonderful crispiness. The spices added to the dough, such as ginger, garlic, and asafoetida/hing, make these bite-sized dumplings flavorful and appetizing. Serve them hot with a spicy dip or sauce.
You can also pack them for lunch at the office, a picnic, or other outings. Children love to find this snack in their school lunchboxes.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
- 1 heaped cup cabbage, grated
- 1 heaped cup jowar flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt or thick curd
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, garlic, and green chili paste, use 1/2 inch ginger, 4 garlic cloves, and 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil, for the tempering
- 4-5 curry leaves, for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Cabbage Jowar Muthiya
- Heat water in a steamer or pressure cooker.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add jowar flour, cabbage, yogurt or curd, 1 tbsp coriander leaves, ginger-garlic-green chili paste, lemon juice, turmeric powder, sugar, asafoetida/hing powder, and salt.
- Knead adding water little by little, to get a firm and pliable dough.
- Divide the dough in two equal portions. Shape each of them like a cylindrical rod of about 1-inch diameter.
- Place them on a greased plate. Steam-cook for 20 minutes.
- Further, take them out. Slice them into 1/2 inch thick pieces. These are muthiyas.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Add oil. Throw in cumin seeds and curry leaves. Let them sizzle. Add muthiya slices. Saute them, while tossing in between, till they turn light brown and crispy. Turn off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Yummy cabbage and jowar muthiyas are ready!
- Serve them with a spicy dip or sauce. Enjoy eating.