How to Make Cabbage and Onion Pancake or Paratha
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp oil + 1/2 tsp ghee, or use only oil
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder, optional, I didn't use
- 1-2 tsp oil/butter, for greasing or cooking parathas
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
We are combining raw cabbage and salt for making the dough. Don't rest the dough more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, the cabbage starts leaking moisture into the dough and makes it soggy. So, keep in mind that the dough should not rest for a long time.
Step-By-Step Instructions and a Few Images for Making Cabbage and Onion Parathas
- Take wheat flour, chopped onion, cabbage, green chili, salt, cumin seeds, carom seeds, chopped coriander leaves, and oil+ghee in a mixing bowl. Combine them with your hands.
- Add some water and knead to get a soft and firm dough. Don't press while making the dough. Onion and cabbage leave more water when pressed.
- Grease the dough ball with oil and cover the dough. keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in big lemon size balls. Take a ball and dip in wheat flour. Roll it to get a round, medium thick flat bread. You can make 3-4 such breads at a time.
- Heat a flat pan or griddle. Sprinkle some butter, oil, or ghee on the pan. Place the flat bread on it. Let the fire be medium high. Cook the flatbread by gently pressing them.
- Flip it when the bottom side turns golden. Sprinkle oil/butter/ghee on the top. Cook the other side also golden.
- Remove the paratha and keep on a plate. Repeat the procedure for all the parathas.
- Cabbage and onion paratha is ready to serve. Serve them hot with pickle and curd. Alternatively, you can serve them with tomato sauce and any spicy dip. Enjoy the taste of aromatic parathas!
Nutritional Information of Cabbage and Onion Parathas
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 302 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|