Kitty is a self-proclaimed home and hearth goddess. One of her favorite things is creatively cooking and baking for her family.
Pancakes and Waffles—Mmm!
While most of us cannot eat pancakes and waffles on a daily basis, every once in a while it's okay to indulge. And if you're tired of having the typical butter and syrup on your pancakes or waffles, maybe it's time for a change?
There's a whole variety of toppings out there in the grocery store. Heck, they're probably in your pantry and fridge, just waiting to be slathered onto a stack of pancakes or waffles. These toppings are crazy and unique, and they'll leave you wanting more. Experiment with combinations you would have never thought to try, and even if you don't like the taste, at least you got an experience out of it, right?
There's something for everyone with pancakes and waffles—for the sweet-toothed kids and even for the more health-conscious folks. So check it out and prepare to start drooling!
Semi-Healthy Pancake and Waffle Toppings
So it's a given that pancakes and waffles are not necessarily the most healthy thing to eat for breakfast, but the key is to go light on the toppings if you want to keep the meal under a certain amount of calories. You might be thinking, Go light on the toppings—are you crazy?, but hear me out. These toppings might be a far cry from caramel and ice cream, but they can still be delicious.
Try out some of the following semi-healthy, unique topping ideas:
- Quaker oats
- sliced bananas with vanilla and cinnamon
- chopped nuts of your choice
- Greek yogurt
- sugar-free maple syrup
- fat-free feta cheese and strawberries
If none of these options sound good and you are thinking, Screw the healthy stuff, read on to the next section!
Crazy, Sugary-Sweet Pancake and Waffle Toppings and Combos
This is an extensive list of the most crazy, sugary-sweet pancake and waffle toppings out there:
- apple and vanilla frozen yogurt with cinnamon syrup
- cookies and cream ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup
- blackberry preserves with whipped cream
- blueberries and chocolate syrup
- powdered sugar, chocolate, and whipped cream
- cherries and vanilla ice cream
- mini Hershey's chocolate bars and caramel syrup
- caramelized peaches and powdered sugar
- homemade apple butter
- sliced bananas and peanut butter
- blueberry yogurt and strawberry syrup
- powdered sugar and cinnamon
- mashed pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg with whipped cream
- crumbled peanut brittle and chocolate
- plain ol' chocolate syrup
- lemon curd and raspberry syrup
- chocolate chips and vanilla ice cream
- mint chocolate chip ice cream and peppermint leaves
- candy corns, chocolate, and whipped cream
- bananas, blueberries, and syrup
- raisins, apples, and peanut butter
- orange marmalade
- cottage cheese and strawberries
- peanut butter and honey
- Nutella and whipped cream
- brown sugar and cinnamon
- coconut and chocolate
- mandarin oranges and honey
- jelly and cream cheese
- marshmallows, crumbled graham crackers, and chocolate
- cocoa powder and syrup
- strawberry and apricot preserves or jam
Salty and Savory Pancake and Waffle Toppings
If you have less of a sweet tooth and more of a liking for savory and salty flavors, try out one of the following toppings or topping combos on your pancakes or waffles:
- bacon and eggs
- Eggs Benedict
- fried chicken (add syrup, too, if you'd like to make it sweet and savory)
- blue cheese
- basil, cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese
- sour cream and onions (or chives)
- salsa and guacamole
- pizza toppings
- shredded chicken, ranch, and chipotle sauce
- avocado and black olive
- sausage and eggs
- bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT)
- French fries and ground beef/turkey
- ham and melted cheese
- crumbled scrapple
- crab meat, poached egg, asparagus, and Béarnaise sauce
- turkey and gravy
- avocado, tomato, and onion
- various cheeses: Cheddar, provolone, Parmesan, etc.
- mushroom and spinach
- jalapenos, tomatoes, and cheese
- broccoli, egg, and Cheddar
- black beans and yellow rice
- corn, salsa, and avocado
- veg and potatoes and gravy
- hot dogs and mac n' cheese
- tuna and tomatoes
- salmon, onion, and cucumber
- pickles and olives
Be Brave—Let the Kids Try!
If none of these options or ideas seem to be appeasing your crazy pancake-topping appetite, why not try something daring? Something that no man has tried before (or woman, for that matter)? Try letting the kids decorate your (and their) pancakes or waffles with whatever toppings they see fit.
Yes, you may end up with a total mess on your hands, perhaps even a very disgusting meal (at worst). But what if they figure out a unique and amazing way to decorate pancakes and waffles? What if they come up with something that we may have never thought of that is delicious and memorable? You'll never know until you try.
Participate in a Poll:
© 2013 Kitty Fields
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on March 26, 2015:
Great hub, Kitty. You can go crazy and wild with these toppings. I might give some of them a try this year. Voted up!
Shinichi Mine from Tokyo, Japan on September 19, 2014:
I love pancakes so of course loved this hub very much.
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on November 21, 2013:
Thanks, stayingalivemoma! - I appreciate your comment. Yummy!
Valerie Washington from Tempe, Arizona on November 21, 2013:
hi kitty - another great hub (as usual). I love most of these toppings.mmmmmmm, but if I had my favorite, I would say cream cheese and jelly. i've given it to my kids with syrup, and with jelly - and they also enjoy eating them plain with butter on them. Voted up, tweeted and pinned!
Tamara Wilhite from Fort Worth, Texas on July 10, 2013:
You could also use low fat versions of ice cream toppers like strawberry and chocolate fudge on pancakes and waffles.
I've used honey, PBJ swirl (from the jar) and frozen fruit chopped in small bits for smoothies allowed to melt on the pancakes.
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on May 25, 2013:
Ceres - I'm hungry too! LOL
Ceres Schwarz on May 16, 2013:
All these pancakes and waffles look good. All the images you have look great. Now I want some pancakes and waffles. I especially liked the pancakes with chocolate and ice cream.
Rose Clearfield from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on May 16, 2013:
What a comprehensive list! Thanks for the wide variety of suggestions. There is something here for everyone.
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on May 16, 2013:
phoenix - That does sound good doesn't it?
sarifearnbd - Thank you so much!
Shariful Islam from Bangladesh on May 16, 2013:
thank you for writing this.. I am sharing this on Facebook on my health page.
Zulma Burgos-Dudgeon from United Kingdom on May 16, 2013:
I'll take bananas and salted caramel toppings any day. :)
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on May 15, 2013:
Jeannie - LOL. Ditto!
litsabd - Let me know how they like them!
vertualit - Thanks for reading.
Abdus Salam from Bangladesh on May 15, 2013:
very informative and useful article. thanks for sharing..
litsabd on May 15, 2013:
They certainly look delicious! I will treat my kids with them over the weekend! Thanks :)
Jeannie Marie from Baltimore, MD on May 15, 2013:
I am so hungry for pancakes now! I personally enjoyed your unhealthy suggestions the best, although I might not allow myself the opportunity to have them. Voted up!