Crazy and Unique Pancake Toppings & Waffle Toppings
Pancakes and Waffles...MMMM
While most of us cannot eat pancakes and waffles on a daily basis, every once in a while it's okay to indulge. And if you're tired of having the typical butter and syrup on your pancakes or waffles, maybe it's time for a change?
There's a whole variety of toppings out there in the grocery store, heck...they're probably in your pantry and fridge, just waiting to be slathered onto a stack of pancakes or waffles. These toppings are crazy and unique, and they'll leave you wanting more. Experiment with pancake and waffle toppings you would have never thought to try, and even if you don't like the taste...at least you got an experience out of it, right?
There's something for everyone with pancakes and waffles...for the sweet-toothed kids and even for the more health-conscious folks. So check it out and prepare to start drooling!
Semi-Healthy Pancake & Waffle Toppings
So it's a given that pancakes and waffles are not necessarily the most healthy thing to eat for breakfast, but the key is to go light on the toppings if you want to keep it under a certain amount of calories. Go light on the toppings, are you crazy? You might be thinking, but hear me out. These toppings might be a far cry from caramel and ice cream, but they can still be delicious.
Try out some of the following semi-healthy, unique pancake and waffle toppings:
- Quaker oats
- sliced bananas w/ vanilla and cinnamon
- chopped nuts of your choice
- greek yogurt
- sugar free maple syrup
- fat free feta cheese and strawberries
If none of these options sound good and you are thinking screw the healthy stuff, read onto the next section!
Crazy, Sugary-Sweet Pancake & Waffle Toppings and Combos
An extensive list of the most crazy, sugary-sweet pancake and waffle toppings out there:
- apple and vanilla frozen yogurt w/ cinnamon syrup
- cookies and cream ice cream drizzled w/ chocolate syrup
- blackberry preserves with whipped cream
- blueberries and chocolate syrup
- powdered sugar, chocolate, whipped cream
- cherries and vanilla ice cream
- mini hershey's chocolate bars and caramel syrup
- carmelized peaches and powdered sugar
- homemade apple butter
- sliced bananas and peanut butter
- blueberry yogurt and strawberry syrup
- powdered sugar and cinnamon
- mashed pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg w/ whipped cream
- crumbled peanut brittle and chocolate
- plain ol' chocolate syrup
- lemon curd and raspberry syrup
- chocolate chips and vanilla ice cream
- mint chocolate chip ice cream and peppermint leaves
- candy corns, chocolate, and whipped cream
- bananas, blueberries, and syrup
- raisins, apples, peanut butter
- orange marmalade
- cottage cheese and strawberries
- peanut butter and honey
- nutella and whipped cream
- brown sugar and cinnamon
- coconut and chocolate
- mandarin oranges and honey
- jelly and cream cheese
- marshmallows, crumbled graham crackers, and chocolate
- cocoa powder and syrup
- strawberry and apricot preserves or jam
Participate in a poll:
Which pancake toppings are you more likely to try?See results without voting
Salty and Savory Pancake & Waffle Toppings
If you have less of a sweet tooth and more of a liking to savory and salty flavors, try out one of the following toppings or topping combos on your pancakes or waffles:
- bacon and eggs
- eggs benedict
- fried chicken (add syrup too if you'd like to make it sweet and savory)
- blue cheese
- basil, cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese
- sour cream and onions (or chives)
- salsa and guacamole
- pizza toppings
- shredded chicken, ranch, and chipotle sauce
- avocado and black olive
- sausage and eggs
- bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT)
- french fries and ground beef/turkey
- ham and melted cheese
- crumbled scrapple
- crab meat, poached egg, asparagas, and bearnaise sauce
- turkey and gravy
- avocado, tomato, and onion
- various cheeses - cheddar, provolone, parmesan, etc.
- mushroom and spinach
- jalapenos, tomatoes, and cheese
- broccoli, egg, and cheddar
- black beans and yellow rice
- corn, salsa, and avocado
- veg and potatoes and gravy
- hot dogs and mac n' cheese
- tuna and tomatoes
- salmon, onion, and cucumber
- pickles and olives
Be Brave...Let the Kids Try!
If none of these options or ideas seem to be appeasing your crazy pancake topping appetite, why not try something daring? Something that no man has tried before (or woman for that matter)? Try letting the kids decorate yours and their pancakes or waffles with whatever toppings they see fit.
Yes, you may end up with a total mess on your hands...perhaps even a very disgusting meal (at worst). But what if they figure out a unique and amazing way to decorate pancakes and waffles? What if they come up with something that we may have never thought of that is delicious and memorable? You'll never know until you try.
Written and copyright © KittytheDreamer (May Canfield), 2013. All Rights Reserved.
More by this Author
So what did people eat in the 1940s? Here are some typical meals, menus, and recipes from that era.