Kristjan is an amateur chef who has been experimenting with all kinds of food preparation for years. If he can make this, then so can you.
Why I Started Making Crepes Stuffed With Leftover Rice
Whenever I make rice as a side dish, I always make way too much for the main meal. I needed a way to use the extra rice instead of throwing it away and thought up (and googled a bit) this simple yet tasty crepes meal.
These days, whenever I make rice as a side dish, I purposefully cook too much rice to make sure that there will be leftover for me to use the following day. The meat I use to complement the rice can vary, but my favorite is using ham and pepperoni (preferably as leftovers).
Having this recipe in my repertoire means that I always have a way to use leftovers. And while this recipe focuses on rice, ham, and pepperoni, it is easy to mix it up with other types of stuffing.
If you have never made crepes before, you should start out with a few test runs by only making the crepes before adding the stuffing. Making crepes for the first time can be a bit challenging, but once you've got the knack for it, it becomes easy.
Did You Like The Crepes Stuffed With Leftover Rice, Ham and Pepperoni?
Complete List of Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- half a teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Leftover rice
- Leftover ham
- Leftover pepperoni
The leftovers are really the main ingredients in this recipe. You want to make sure that the rice and any condiments you have will be enough for the necessary amount of people you are cooking for. If you are aiming for 12 stuffed crepes, you will need about 12 slices of ham, 24 slices of pepperoni and 3-4 cups of cooked rice.
You can of course also make the rice from scratch. If you do so, then that is the first thing you should get started. Followed with making the batter as the rice is cooking.
- Start making the crepes batter by measuring the flour into a bowl and adding the eggs.
- Whisk the eggs and flour together and add the milk slowly to this mixture while whisking.
- Next, add water to the mixture and start whisking vigorously. It is possible to do it by hand, but it is hard. If you don't have a stand mixer, then you can also use a hand mixer. Just be sure not to get the batter all over your kitchen.
- Continue whisking the batter until it is almost without clumps. Now add the salt and melted butter and continue whisking until the clumps are gone, at which point it is ready for cooking.
- Now you need to heat up the leftover rice, either in a microwave or in a pan.
- When the rice is hot, you can start making the crepes. Heat a pan at medium low and wait for it to get hot.
- Take some batter and let it run to the sides of the pan by tilting the pan in a circular motion. You should use the amount of batter that almost covers your pan, usually about 1/2 a cup.
- Cook the crepe for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom becomes light brown, then turn the crepe with a long thin spatula and cook the other side.
- After you turn the crepe you now need to place the ham, pepperoni, and rice onto a quarter of the crepe. You can also add cheese to the bottom if you want to or add some condiment on top.
- Finally, close the crepe, first in half then again in half to make a semi-quarter shaped filled crepe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A main meal for 4-6 persons
Now that the crepes are ready, you should consider serving some condiments with the crepes. My favorite is honey mustard, but you can use whatever you enjoy best.
So there you have it. Delicious crepes stuffed with rice, ham and pepperoni you can enjoy as a main meal. If you enjoyed this recipe then remember to bookmark it for future reference and why not also share it with your friends and family.
© 2018 Kristjan Matthiasson