I love experimenting in the kitchen and sharing the best of my concoctions with fellow food-lovers online.
Make this dish the night before your big event, and you will have more time to spend with your guests. This egg bake is easy to make, can be made all in one pot, and will please everyone. Great for brunch or special occasions, garnish with fruit and you have an elegant and satisfying meal.
I make this egg bake for every family gathering. It was a big hit at the "after wedding" present-opening party following my daughter's wedding. I made two batches (one with ham and one without ham for the vegetarians in the group), added a bowl of fruit, and lots of coffee—easy and everyone enjoyed the brunch.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
6 hours 30 min
15 - 20 people
Read More From Delishably
Tips for Success
- If time is short, use pre-shredded cheese and potatoes.
- For variation, add green peppers, jalapeños, or use Monterey jack cheese.
- For a vegetarian option, the ham can be eliminated without compromising the recipe.
- 18 eggs sounds like a lot, and it is. Do not reduce the number of eggs, the egg bake will not set correctly.
- To serve more people, you can increase the number of eggs up to 24. If you do that, add one more cup of milk to the mixture.
- Have a small group? That's okay, this heats up well again as leftovers.
- 20 ounces (4 cups) potatoes, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces (2 1/2 cups) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 18 eggs
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
Yes, It Really Does Take This Many Eggs
- Place the shredded potatoes, onion, shredded cheese, and ham in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of those ingredients.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs, whisk in the milk, mustard, and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the potato layer.
- Add the butter cut into 1 tablespoon pieces on top of the entire mixture, generously add ground pepper and salt.
- Turn the crock pot on low and let cook for 6 hours, or until the eggs are set.
- Serve from the crock pot.