I enjoy cooking and baking, and I share some of my family's favorite holiday recipes.
Brunch or Breakfast Bake
The men in our neighborhood used to come to our house to play poker once a month, and after poker they always wanted something to eat. I used to make this for them. I've also made it when having overnight company because it's easy to serve and better than cooking the eggs separately. This is a recipe you make the night before and place in the refrigerator.
When our granddaughter was married, we had family in the house, in their camper in the yard, and some that stayed in a motel nearby. For breakfast, we had the breakfast bake and my Sticky Gooey Sweet Rolls From Pillsbury Grands Cinnamon Rolls. It's a very good breakfast casserole and so yummy.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
- 1 pound bulk lean pork sausage or turkey sausage, crumbled into small pieces (I used Jimmy Dean)
- 3 cups onion/garlic-flavored croutons
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups milk, divided into 2 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2–ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (you can use any soup you would like)
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Brown sausage in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain. Spread croutons in ungreased 9x13-inch oblong baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with drained sausage and 1 1/2 cups of cheese, then set aside.
- In a blender container or medium mixing bowl, blend or whip with a wire whisk the 4 eggs, 2 1/4 cup of milk, mustard, and salt until well-combined. Pour over sausage mixture; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove pan from refrigerator; discard plastic wrap.
- In a small bowl, whisk together with soup and remaining 1/2 cup milk until smooth; pour over casserole.
- Sprinkle lightly with frozen hash browns. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350°F for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30 minutes more, or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Let stand at least 5 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.