Cheddar Sausage Bread Pudding or Strata
Strata Is Perfect for Sunday Brunch!
Strata Is a Wonderful Source of Joy and Nutrition
Strata is another name for bread pudding. In the good ole days, people would save their crusts and stale bread to make a pudding. It was very tasty. You can make a more flavorful strata by using grilled vegetables and smoked cheddar cheese sausage.
A time saver for this strata is to assemble it a day ahead. Then, when your company arrives for brunch, you pull it out of the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and bake for thirty minutes.
Cooking a Great Brunch
- 8 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup 38% cream, add when whisking eggs
- 2- 5 inch -cheddar cheese smoked sausage, slice on an angle
- 1 orange bell pepper, julienne sliced ( to cut into small strips the size of match sticks)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 whole wheat english muffins, cut in half and toasted each side
- 1\4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, Used to coat oven ware dish and aslo sprinkle over vegetables before grilling
- Grease an eight inch oven ware covered dish with lots of olive oil. Then set it aside.
- Cut four English whole-wheat muffins in half and toast each side in your toaster.
- While you are toasting your muffins, wash and cut up your chosen vegetables. You can add asparagus, red onions, or whatever you fancy. Suzzycue decided on julienned orange and yellow peppers, mushrooms, red grape tomatoes, and cheddar cheese smoked sausage. She choose this sausage rather than adding extra cheese.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Then place vegetables and sausage on baking sheet. Suzzycue drizzled olive oil all over the top of the vegetables. If you wish, you can add whatever spices that you like. Suzzycue did salt and pepper, but oregano or thyme would be great. Place vegetables under the broiler in oven until brown (usually around ten minutes).
- Take your greased oven ware dish and line toasted English muffins around the sides and break them up to cover the bottom of the dish also.
- Then Suzzycue beat eight eggs in a bowl with 1\2 cup of 38% cream. Pour this mixture over your english muffins and add in the vegetables and sausage.
- That's it. Cover bowl and set into the refrigerator overnight. Doing this step allows for the eggs to penetrate the bread and makes your strata moist and delicious.
- The next morning, take the strata out of the fridge and set on counter to take the chill off the oven dish. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until you can see that the eggs are solidified. Slice into six servings and enjoy!
- This whole recipe is essentially: cut vegetables and sausage, crack eggs, toast English muffins, put in bowl, then bake and done. You can cook right away and not put it into the fridge if you wish, but then it would be like a two-inch thick quiche and not a strata.
Step-By-Step Strata Picture InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
The Cost of This Strata?
- 6 whole wheat english muffins: $1.99
- dozen large egg: $2.39
- cheddar cheese smoked sausage for 10: $6.75 (only use 2)
- mushrooms: 8 ounces $1.97
- rainbow bell peppers: pkg of 4 $1.97 (use 2)
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes: $2.47
Total cost of this dish to feed a family of six is $17.54 with lots of sausage for another dish or BBQ.
One 6-Ounce Slice of Strata
|Serving size: 6 ounces|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 15 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|