How to Make Spicy Multi-Grain Pancakes or Thalipeeth
Making Spicy Multi Grain Pancake or Thalipeeth At-a-Glance
Thalipeeth, or multi-grain pancakes, is a popular breakfast food of Mumbai. It is spicy and flavorful. You have to mix a few varieties of flours and any vegetables of your choice to make these rotis. However, there are certain leafy-vegetable combinations, like dill leaves and fenugreek leaves, that give these pancakes a unique taste.
I used wheat flour, finger millet flour, jowar flour, gram flour, sesame seeds, salt, chopped dill leaves, fenugreek leaves, chopped onion, turmeric powder, chopped green chilies, oil, curd, and hing powder in this recipe. You have to combine these ingredients adding very little water to make a soft and firm dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Pinch out a lemon-sized ball of dough, and roll it into a moderately thick disc of about 6 inches in diameter. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a flat pan. Place the raw pancake on it. Let the heat be medium-low. Flip the pancake once the bottom part gets golden brown spots. Add a few drops of oil on the top. Let the other side also get golden brown spots. Remove and place it on a serving plate. Repeat the procedure to make all the pancakes. Eat hot multi-grain roti with tomato chutney/sauce or with any other tangy sauce/dip.
Ingredients for Making Spicy Multi Grain Pancake
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup finger millet flour
- 1/3 cup gram flour/chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup jowar flour/great millet flour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp or less thick curd or yogurt
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Multi Grain Pancake or Thalipeeth
- Gather all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Gently mix them, and knead to get a soft and firm dough. No need to add water. Fenugreek leaves and onion gives out some water. Add a few drops of water if necessary for kneading the dough. Rest the dough covered for 15 minutes.
- After resting time, pinch out a lemon size dough. Shape it like a patty. Roll it dusting wheat flour to make a thick disk of about 6 " diameter.
- Heat a pan. Sprinkle some oil on it. Place the disc. Pour few drops of oil on top and on the edges. Flip it when the top part gets air bubbles. Add a few drops of oil on the other side too. Cook till both sides get some golden brown spots.
- Remove and place it on a serving plate. Make all the pancakes this way.
- Serve hot multi grain pancake or thalipeeth with tomato chutney/sauce or with any other tangy chutney/dip. Enjoy eating these aromatic rotis. You can pack these rotis for lunch box too.
Nutritional Information of Spicy Multi Grain Pancake or Thalipeeth
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 23 g||8%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 217 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|