Healthy Breakfast: Sweet Banana Pancake or Banana Dosa Recipe
Banana Pancakes or Banana Dosa
I had some overripe bananas that inspired me to make these pancakes. To make the batter, you have to grind soaked rice, soaked fenugreek seeds, chopped ripe bananas, powdered jaggery, and grated coconut. Grind them adding water to get a smooth batter. Add salt and mix well with your hands. Rest it for 8 hours. The batter raises in volume and becomes light. Make pancakes on the griddle or pan.
Banana pancakes are moderately sweet and flavorful. You can increase the sweetness by adding more jaggery or sugar. I prefer to use jaggery because it enhances the taste and is also considered better for your health. The less sweet pancakes are served with spicy coconut chutney; sweet ones can be eaten without any condiments.
- 3 cups raw white rice, soaked in water
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, soaked in water
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup ripe banana, chopped
- 1/4 cup jaggery powder, or sugar, jaggery preferred
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- ghee or butter for making pancakes
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Banana Pancakes or Banana Dosa
- Wash rice. Soak it in fresh water with fenugreek seeds for 3-4 hours.
- Grind rice-fenugreek seed mix, grated coconut, chopped bananas, and jaggery powder. Add water while grinding. Get a smooth batter. The batter should be neither thin nor thick. Add salt. Mix well with your hands, keep aside for resting. Cover the vessel with a lid. The batter may take about 8 hours to raise in volume and to become light. Mix the batter after resting.
- Heat a pancake griddle. Brush a few drops of ghee or oil-ghee mix on the surface. Pour 1 1/2 ladle batter in the center. Quickly spread it in circular direction with the help of the ladle head bottom. Don't make it too thin.
- Sprinkle a few drops of ghee on the top. Cover the pan with a lid. Flip the pancake after 1 minute or when the bottom side becomes golden. Let the other side also turn golden. Now you can observe that the pancake is very soft and porous.
- Remove the pancake on a serving plate.
- Serve mild sweet pancakes with spicy coconut chutney. Sweet pancakes can be eaten without any condiments. Enjoy eating the soft and flavorful banana pancakes!
Some Important Tips On Banana Pancakes or Banana Dosa:
- Banana pancakes can be made either less sweet or more sweet. You have to add jaggery accordingly.
- You can add turmeric powder to the batter to get yellow pancakes. They are healthier.
- Make the batter in the night and make pancakes for the breakfast. Minimum of 8 hours batter resting is needed to get soft and fluffy pancakes.
- No need to add cardamom. Banana pancake has its own flavor.