Healthy Recipes: Semolina Dumplings (Rava Idli) Recipe
Some Information About Rava Idli (Semolina Dumpling)
Rava idli is one of the most popular breakfast dishes in India. They are soft, aromatic, and easily digestible. The side dish or chutney for this idli should be spicy because rava idlis are fairly bland.
Roasted semolina is mixed with thick curd to make the batter. Grated carrot is mixed with the batter to make it more healthy. These idlis are sometimes topped with fried cashew nut pieces or with chopped tomato, etc. Unlike other idlis, rava idli batter does not need fermentation. Making this dish takes about 30 minutes. Hot idlis are served with potato curry and coconut chutney.
- 2 cups medium semolina
- 1/6 cup carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped(optional)
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp Eno fruit salt, or 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tsp oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp ghee, for greasing idli moulds
- 2 cups thick curd or yogurt, medium sour
- 1 tbsp cashew nut pieces, for topping(optional)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Semolina Dumplings(Rava Idli)
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in curry leaves. Add semolina. Roast it on low fire for 3-4 minutes or until you get a nice aroma. Turn off the fire. Transfer the contents to a mixing bowl. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grease the idli moulds and keep ready the steamer or cooker.
- Take the mixing bowl having roasted semolina. Add grated ginger, chopped coriander leaves, curd or yogurt, and salt. Mix well. Leave for 5 minutes.
- If the batter is too thick, add water and adjust the consistency. For rava idli, the batter should be thick like any other idli batter.
- Add Eno fruit salt or baking soda. Quickly give a stir. The batter raises in volume. Pour it into the greased moulds. Keep the moulds inside the steamer or cooker. Steam for 10 minutes on medium high flame. Turn off the fire.
- Sprinkle some water on the steamed hot idlis. This will help to moisten the idlis.
- Remove them from the moulds, using a spoon when they are warm.
- Semolina dumplings (rava idli) are ready to serve. Serve hot idlis with potato curry and spicy coconut chutney. Enjoy eating awesome idlis!
- After mixing cooking soda or Eno fruit salt, quickly steam the dumplings to get soft, fluffy idlis. The delay may turn out idlis flat and hard.
Nutritional information of Semolina Dumplings(Rava Idli)
|Serving size: 1 idli|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 100 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|