Homemade Potato Hash Browns, or Home Fries, Recipes
There's nothing better than a big hearty breakfast on the weekend that includes hash browns or home fries. Some people call them "hash browns" and others call them "home fries." There are various ways to make these potatoes, so I've included two recipes.
Both recipes will serve 4-5 people.
- 4 medium - large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 - 5 slices of bacon
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- vegetable oil
Start by preparing the ingredients
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and pierce for microwaving.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6 minutes, turning over after 3 minutes.
- Chop and dice the onion and set aside.
- If you are using garlic cloves, peel and slice thin.
- Slice bacon into bite sized pieces.
- In an electric frying pan or a frying pan on the stove, fry the bacon slices on a medium setting. You don't want to cook the bacon all the way through as you will be adding the potatoes, onion and garlic, and cooking everything together.
- Once the potatoes are partially cooked, remove from microwave and dice.
- In the frying pan that the bacon is frying in, add 1 tbs. of vegetable oil and turn to a high setting. Add potatoes, chopped onion and garlic cloves.
- Fry and stir until potatoes are a golden brown.
- Add paprika and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve and ENJOY!
If you don't have a microwave you can wash the potatoes, cut in half and boil for ten minutes, or until partially tender.
These home fries can be made with or without bacon.
You may want to add diced green peppers.
Season with anything you like. I like to add Slap Ya Mama white pepper Cajun seasoning.
- 4-5 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- garlic powder
- ground pepper
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- In a microwave oven cook the cubed potatoes for six minutes.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat add the oil, onions, and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are almost fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the spices over everything and stir.
- Add the chopped green onions and stir; continue cooking for two minutes.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Ingredients for Hash Browns
- 4 medium sized baking potatoes
- 1 large onion diced (optional)
- 1-2 tbs. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cooking the Hash Browns
- Wash and peel potatoes, and then grate them. To remove the moisture from the potatoes I use a potato ricer. If you do not have a ricer roll between paper towels and press to get the moisture out.
- In a large frying pan heat 1 - 2 tbs. of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the grated potatoes, fry for several minutes. With a spatula flip the potatoes over and continue to fry until cooked. You can make these as crispy as you like.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Susan Zutautas