Homemade Potato Hash Browns (Home Fries) Recipes
Homemade Home Fries
There's nothing better than a big hearty breakfast on the weekend that includes hash browns or home fries. Some people call them "hash browns" and others call them "home fries." There are various ways to make these potatoes, so I've included two recipes.
Both recipes will serve 4-5 people.
- 4 medium-large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 slices of bacon
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and pierce for microwaving.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6 minutes, turning over after 3 minutes.
- Chop and dice the onion and set aside.
- If you are using garlic cloves, peel and slice thin.
- Slice bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- In an electric frying pan or a frying pan on the stove, fry the bacon slices on a medium setting. You don't want to cook the bacon all the way through as you will be adding the potatoes, onion, and garlic, and cooking everything together.
- Once the potatoes are partially cooked, remove from microwave and dice.
- In the frying pan that the bacon is frying in, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and turn to a high setting. Add potatoes, chopped onion, and garlic cloves.
- Fry and stir until potatoes are golden brown.
- Add paprika and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Substitutes
- If you don't have a microwave, you can wash the potatoes, cut them in half, and boil for ten minutes, or until partially tender.
- These home fries can be made with or without bacon.
- You may want to add diced green peppers.
- Season with anything you like. I like to add Slap Ya Mama white pepper Cajun seasoning.
Ingredients for Home Fries With Onion and Green Pepper
- 4-5 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Garlic powder
- Ground pepper
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- In a microwave oven cook the cubed potatoes for six minutes.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat add the oil, onions, and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are almost fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the spices over everything and stir.
- Add the chopped green onions and stir; continue cooking for two minutes.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Ingredients for Hash Browns
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1 large onion diced (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes, and then grate them. To remove the moisture from the potatoes I use a potato ricer. If you do not have a ricer roll between paper towels and press to get the moisture out.
- In a large frying pan heat 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the grated potatoes, fry for several minutes. With a spatula flip the potatoes over and continue to fry until cooked. You can make these as crispy as you like.
© 2012 Susan Zutautas