Recipe for Hot Cocoa Pancakes
Rate this Recipe!
One of My Favorite Winter Recipes
Nothing quite hits the spot on a cold day like hot chocolate or hot cocoa. I was recently inspired by my love for hot chocolate and my favorite pancake recipe. The result is this deliciously warm and quick pancake recipe. This is one of my new favorite delicious winter recipes. This pancake mix recipe comes together very quickly and makes great use of the hot chocolate packets that come in holiday hot cocoa gifts.
How to Make Homemade Pancakes
Ingredients for Pancakes
- 6 Ounces French Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 ounces Hot Cocoa Mix, (2 individual serving packets)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 3 Eggs
How do I Make Pancakes with Yogurt?
If you haven't ever used yogurt in your cooking or baking, the concept can seem downright weird-- I get it. Once I tasted homemade pancakes made with yogurt, I couldn't make them any other way. Two years later, I still don't. I regularly make my homemade pancakes with strawberry yogurt. I've also used pumpkin yogurt during the fall months. My latest success combines Yoplait's French Vanilla yogurt with two packets of my favorite instant hot chocolate. For this recipe, use a 6 oz single-serving cup of French Vanilla, Vanilla, or just plain yogurt. If you have a larger tub of yogurt, use one measuring cup's worth. It will be a tiny bit more than 6 oz but works great too.
Using yogurt in this pancake recipe (and my others), yields such a perfect pancake in terms of both texture and flavor. The pancakes always come out fluffy, smooth, and taste amazing. The big difference that one small container of yogurt can make is almost baffling. I personally hate pancakes that taste like straight water and flour and leave you feeling like you have a giant ball of raw dough in your stomach for hours. These are not those pancakes.
Making Pancakes the Easy Way
- In large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, milk, vanilla, melted butter, and eggs. Mix well.
- Add hot chocolate mix, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Gradually mix flour into batter about a half a cup at time.
- Pour batter onto hot griddle (350° F) to form pancakes. Flip when bubbles have popped, tops are no longer "wet," and sides are beginning to brown.
- Cook other side until golden brown and remove.
This is the pancake pen I use to make perfectly uniform pancakes.
Yummy Recipes for Winter
Hot Breakfast Ideas for Cold Mornings
Tips for Making the Perfect Pancakes
- Use one 6-oz cup of yogurt. If you have a larger tub of yogurt, use a measuring cup to scoop out one cup.
- Don't prepare your hot chocolate as a drink. Use just the powder from two single serving packets. A single serving packet is usually 1 ounce, so you will need 2 ounces total.
- If your hot cocoa mix has mini marshmallows: you can leave them in, sift them out, or use them as a fun topping on your finished pancakes. You can also buy mini marshmallow bits. My favorite kind is made by Kraft and comes in a great plastic canister for shaking and pouring (similar to the containers that grated Parmesan cheese comes in).
- Using a pancake pen or batter bottle makes life much easier. You can easily control the flow of your batter, giving you control over pancake shape and size. Mix batter in bowl first and pour into bottle.
- Using an electric griddle can help you make more pancakes quickly which means breakfast is ready faster. I cook six pancakes at a time and I'm sitting down and enjoying my food faster than ever before. No more standing at the stove forever.
- Only flip your pancakes once. Over-flipping the pancake can cause it to become tough.
- Don't press down on your pancake with a spatula. It won't cook any faster but it will become deflated.
Serve with Your Favorite Pancake Syrup and Fun Mini Marshmallows
Simple recipes for pancakes don't have to be plain. Using yogurt and hot cocoa mix is a quick and easy cheat to achieve a whole new level of flavor with your pancakes. Experiment with different flavors of yogurt and hot chocolate. I hope you love these sweet little pancakes as much as I do. If you try out this recipe, be sure to let me know below. I always love to hear from you!
Serve with a Perfect Dusting of Confectioners Sugar
© 2014 Heather Rode
More by this Author
Recipe for yummy banana muffins with heavenly chocolate chip streusel topping. Easy to make, ready before you know it, and deliciously worth it. A must-have muffin recipe for every kitchen.
Holiday baking with applesauce will save you time and money. This recipe has a delicious blend of spices and is perfect for holiday snacking and entertaining. Quick and easy for last minute plans.
Italian cooking doesn't have to be complicated or take all day. Made from basic ingredients and basic spices, this easy meatball recipe is full of flavor and compliments pasta dishes. Yummy!