How to Make Hot Waffles
Like most people over the years, we have bought all kinds of kitchen gadgets, most of which are still in their boxes buried in the pantry. Recently I dug out my electric-powered waffle maker, and I decided to experiment with it.
There are many different makes of waffle makers on the market, so if you don't find one in the pantry already, then finding one in a shop or online is no problem. There are also many different powers, from about 700 watts up to 1,000 watts.
Look for a waffle maker that has detatchable cooking plates so that you can remove them for cleaning. Also make sure that there is a heat or time regulator so that you can set the time.
Enjoy and experiment.
Basic Waffle Mix
- Baking powder
I have found that I can use a variety of flour types in various combinations.
Delicious Soft Batter
- 2 cups - All Purpose flour
- 1 medium egg
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups – milk
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add egg.
- Add baking soda.
- Using a hand whisk, mix ingredients.
- As you whisk, add milk until you have custard-like batter.
- Heat waffle maker.
- Pour batter into maker.
- Close lid.
- Wait for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove waffle.
- Eat with jam, treacle, fruit, or whatever you fancy.
You can add fruit juice instead of water, and then pile them high with fresh fruit.
- I like to use them instead of toast; try them with a poached egg on top or crispy bacon.
- Baked beans make an ideal topping the kids love them.
- You might like them as a sweet with jam or treacle on.
A Perfect Snack
- Basic waffle mix as above
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- Make as above with the addition of the curry powder.
Serve with sliced tomatoes, yogurt, mango chutney and mint raita.
Onion Bhaji Waffles
Onion bhajis are one of my favourites so this was an obvious choice.
- 1 cup Gramm flour [Chickpea flour]
- 1 cup Polenta or Corn Meal flour
- 2 eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups warm water
- I medium onion
- Spinach leaves
- Peel and fine chop onion.
- Fine chop spinach leaves.
- Mix flour.
- Add salt.
- Add spices (add more if you like it spicier).
- Add chopped onion and spinach.
- Add water until you have a thick batter.
- Pour into waffle machine.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- This should make six waffles.
How to Serve Your Onion Bhaji Waffles
Cook enough waffles for your needs and keep warm. Serve with mango chutney, yogurt raita, or lime chutney.
Serve with salad and chutney.
Chickpea Flour [Gramm Flour]
This is made from chickpeas or split peas and is quite a healthy alternative to wheat flour. I use it as a thickening agent in soups, curries, and gravies.
- 1 cup Yogurt, Low Fat
- 3 inch cucumber, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Mint Sauce, or fresh leaves
- pinch salt, to taste
This is a delicious and very simple to make dip. It makes a great accompaniment to any spicy dish because the yogurt cools the mouth.
- Place yoghurt in a mixing bowl.
- Fine chop cucumber.
- Add cucumber to yoghurt.
- Add salt.
- Add mint [this can be fresh leaves or a mint sauce].
- Mix all your ingredients together to form a delicate savoury dip.