How to Make Dragon Fruit Pancakes Without Baking Powder
During a recent visit to my father's farm in the Philippines, I was lucky enough to be there during the harvest time. There was a bountiful crop of dragon fruit, and I decided to preserve some of the ripened fruit by making a sauce. Having this sauce in my refrigerator has led me to come up with several creative ways to use it in my cooking, including these delicious and healthy pancakes without baking powder. Let me teach you how I made them.
- Large mixing bowl
- Preparation bowls (for the ingredients)
- Wire whisk
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
Step 1: Make the Dragon Fruit Sauce
Yield: 1/2 cup dragon fruit sauce
- 1/4 plus 2 tablespoons dragon fruit, mashed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine dragon fruit and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture over the low heat.
- Stir the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add vanilla extract. Continue stirring to prevent burning.
- Let it cool before putting it in a blender.
- Blend the mixture until achieving the desired texture.
- Transfer the dragon fruit sauce to a sealed container. Store in the refrigerator for future use.
Step 2: Make the Pancakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dragon fruit sauce
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil or butter, for cooking
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Using a whisk, stir to incorporate everything.
- Start adding the wet ingredients.
- Stir everything until there are no small lumps.
- Heat up the pan. Grease it using a small amount of oil or butter.
- Transfer the batter in a squeeze bottle.
- Squeeze a small amount of batter into the pan.
- Cook the pancake at least two minutes per side or until bubbles start to appear on the surface.
Tips and Techniques
- If you do not have a squeeze bottle, you can use a ladle, instead.
- You can serve these pancakes with another type of sauce on top or on the side.
- For plain pancakes (without dragon fruit sauce), you can omit the sauce and increase the amount of milk to 1/2 cup.
Other Delicious Dragon Fruit Recipes
- How to Make Dragon Fruit Apple Lemonade
Have you ever tried dragon fruit, also called pitahaya? It's one of my favorite fruits! This is my recipe for dragon fruit apple lemonade.
- How to Make Dragon Fruit (Pitahaya) Jelly
Flavor your jelly with the taste of dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or pitaya. Not only is this fruit delicious, but it also offers lots of health benefits. Loaded with fiber, this fruit is recommended for those having bowel movement trouble.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Travel Chef