Liza is a homemaker who loves baking and cooking. She also enjoys collecting postcards from friends all over the world.
French Toast With a Twist
I love French toast—it is one of my favorite weekend breakfasts. There are many different ways to make French toast, but typically, it is made by soaking bread in eggs and milk then frying it in a pan. Recently, I discovered a very different way of making this dish: instead of bread, I used waffles!
What Is Waffle French Toast?
I started with ready-made waffles from the store, dipped them into the egg batter, and then fried them like French toast. It tastes just like the original French toast, only with a twist!
My Secret Ingredient
Lately, when I need to sauté or fry, I've been using ghee instead of butter. Ghee is a class of clarified butter that originated in ancient India. If you don't have ghee or prefer not to use it, butter works just fine. In this recipe, I used ghee to fry the waffles, and the results were excellent. It was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Just the way I like it!
Read More From Delishably
- 6 waffles (I used ready-made)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Olive oil
- Ghee (optional; can be used to replace butter)
- Maple syrup, honey, or other syrup
- Fresh fruits (bananas, strawberries, raspberries, etc.) or fruit compote (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl or plate, combine eggs, milk, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon powder. Stir until a smooth batter forms.
- In a pan, heat the ghee or butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Take the first waffle and just barely dip it into the batter. Do not dip the whole slice into the batter. This will make the toast soggy. Dip the other side with the same technique.
- Put the coated waffle in the pan. Continue doing the same with the other waffles. (I used a large pan that fit 4 waffles.)
- Cook both sides until they turn golden brown, then remove from the pan.
- Cook the remaining waffles until they're all done.
- Transfer the waffles onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve the waffle French toast with fresh fruit, such as blueberries, raspberries or a fruit compote.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, honey, or the syrup of your choice. Enjoy!
© 2020 Liza