How to Make Fried Rava Idli or Fried Semolina Dumplings
Have You Ever Had This Amazing Indian Breakfast Food?
Semolina dumplings are a healthy breakfast. They are easy to make. But when the same dumplings are pan-fried, they become super delicious, and everyone loves them. Though making them takes a bit more time, it's worth the while. Fried rava idlies are flavorful and yummy. Try this recipe for a change.
For making them, you have to prepare semolina dumplings first. Cut them into half and smear with red chili powder-salt mix. Next, heat oil in a deep pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them sizzle. Throw in white lentil. Fry till they become golden. Add a pinch of hing and a few curry leaves. Mix well. Pour the chopped rava dumplings. Toss to coat the tempering evenly on all the dumplings. Turn off the fire. Pan-fried semolina dumplings are ready! Eat them with a spicy coconut chutney or sauce.
Ingredients for Making Pan-fried Semolina Dumplings or Rava Idli
- 1 1/2 heaped cups wheat semolina
- 1 cup or more yogurt or curds, moderately sour
- salt to taste, for the batter
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fruit salt or baking soda, for the batter
- 2 tbsp oil, for tempering-pan frying
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp white lentil
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 pinches hing
Step-By-Step Instructions and Photos for Making Pan-fried Semolina Dumplings or Rava Idli
- Put wheat semolina in a mixing bowl. Add yogurt or curd and salt. Ensure that curd is not cold. If using refrigerated curd, keep it in the room temperature at least for two hours before mixing with the semolina. Cold curd makes less fluffy dumplings.
- Mix them well. Keep aside for 15 minutes. During resting, semolina absorbs moisture and the batter becomes a bit dry.
- Add some water and mix to get the proper consistency. The batter should be as thick as normal idli batter.
- Keep the steamer/cooker ready for steam-cooking.
- Add fruit salt. Gently mix it once. Pour the batter into the greased idli moulds. Arrange the plates and place them inside the steamer for cooking. Let the heat be medium high. Steam cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the steamer lid. Take out the idli plates. Remove the dumplings when they are not so hot. Collect them in a container. Cut each idli into half.
- Mix red chili powder and salt. Sprinkle this mix on the idli slices. Toss the container to ensure uniform coating.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add white lentils, hing, and curry leaves. Saute till lentil turns golden.
- Pour spicy semolina dumpling slices into the pan. Turn off the fire. Toss the pan to ensure the equal coating of the oil and the tempering on the dumplings.
- Pan-fried semolina dumplings are ready to serve. Eat them hot with a spicy coconut chutney or any other chutney/sauce.
Nutritional Information of Pan-fried Semolina Dumplings
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 224 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|