How to Make Healthy Cabbage Potato Parathas
An Overview of How to Make Cabbage Potato Paratha
Making cabbage potato paratha involves two main steps. You have to prepare a dough and a filling for making them.
Making the dough: Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add carom seeds, some salt, and oil. Knead the flour adding water little by little. Get a soft and firm dough. Keep it covered for 10 minutes.
Making the stuffing: Boil two potatoes. Remove the skin. Nicely mash them. Heat some oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw some cumin seeds into it. Let them sizzle. Add finely chopped onions. Saute till they turn golden brown. Add finely chopped cabbage. Saute for 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle a few drops of water if needed. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, sugar, dry mango powder(amchur powder), and salt. Mix well. Continue stir-cooking for a minute. Add mashed potato and finely chopped coriander leaves. Combine well. The stuffing is ready!
Preparing the parathas: Divide the dough into many large lemon-sized balls. Roll a ball into a small round shape. Place about 1 1/2 teaspoon dough in the center. Fold the sides and close it. Pat a little, dip in wheat flour, and roll into a thick pancake. Cook both sides on a flat pan, adding a few drops of ghee and oil mix. Repeat the same for all the dough balls.
Yummy cabbage potato parathas are ready to serve. Serve hot with a spoon of fresh butter on them, accompanied with chutney, sauce, or yogurt. Enjoy!
Let me share the detailed recipe now.
Cabbage Potato Paratha
Ingredients for Making Cabbage Potato Paratha
- 1 heaped cup finely chopped cabbage, for the stuffing
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, boiled, finely mashed
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, for the stuffing
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, for the stuffing
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, for the stuffing
- 1/6 tsp dry mango powder(amchur powder), for the stuffing
- 1/2 tsp salt, as per taste
- 4 cups wheat flour, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds, for the dough
- 1 tsp oil or ghee, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the dough
- oil for making the parathas
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, for the stuffing
- 1/4 tsp sugar, for taste, for the stuffing
- 1 1/2 tsp oil, for stir-cooking the vegetables
Step-By-Step Instructions for Making Cabbage Potato Parathas
- Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add oil, salt, and carom seeds. Mix well.
- Knead adding water little by little to get a soft, firm dough. Keep it covered for 10 minutes.
- Boil two potatoes. Remove the skin. Finely mash the flesh. Keep aside.
- In the mean while, start to make the stuffing. Heat some oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw cumin seeds into it. Let them crackle.
- Add chopped onion. Saute till they turn golden brown. Add chopped cabbage. Saute for 5-6 minutes over medium low fire. Sprinkle a few drops of water if needed.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, red chili powder, a little sugar, and salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for a minute on low fire.
- Add mashed potato and chopped coriander leaves. Combine well. Ensure that the mix is dry. This is the stuffing for parathas.
- Divide the dough into large lemon size balls. Take a ball and dip it in wheat flour. Roll into a small round shape. Place 1 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center.
- Fold the edges and close it. Gently pat and press a little. Roll it along the stuffing to get a medium thick pancake.
- Heat a flat pan. Sprinkle a few drops of ghee or oil. Place the pancake on it. Cook till it gets golden brown on both the sides. Sprinkle oil on the other side also.
- Remove it on a plate. Repeat the same for the whole dough balls. Cabbage potato paratha is ready to serve. Serve hot with yogurt, chutney, or sauce. They are spicy and awesome even without any accompaniment. Enjoy eating!
Some Important Tips to Get Proper Parathas:
1. Mash potatoes lump-less. Also finely chop onions and cabbage. Otherwise, the big pieces become hurdle for rolling the pancakes. In such case, you will end up getting uneven or broken parathas.
2. Ensure that the stuffing is completely dry.
3.The dough should be firm and smooth.
Step-By-Step Photos for Making Cabbage Potato ParathaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Nutritional Information of Cabbage Potato Parathas
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 302 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|