Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Scrumptious Breakfast in Twenty Minutes!
Handvo is a steamed dish that originated in the state of Gujarat, India. People make different types of handvo using idli batter, semolina, or handvo flour itself. A few varieties require the batter to be fermented, but you can make a few right away.
The handvo I am showing at present is an instant one. Semolina (Rava), chickpea flour, curds, vegetables, and a few fresh spices are the chief ingredients to make this dish.
You need not ferment the batter to make the instant handvo. This pancake is delicious, soft, and balanced. Just combine the ingredients as per directions and make the batter. Next, cook it. I made this in 20 minutes.
Read More From Delishably
Serve slices as they are or accompanied by tomato ketchup. To be frank, they don't need any side dish to eat with.
Let's now find out how to make the instant pan handvo.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves three people
- 1 1/4 cup semolina(rava), or medium sized sooji
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 1/4 cup curds
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-green chili-garlic paste, I used 2 chilies, 4 garlic cloves, and an inch ginger
- 2 tsp oil, for the batter
- 2 tbsp peanuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup bottle gourd, peeled, grated
- 2 tbsp carrots, peeled, grated
- 1 tbsp capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp cooking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
Step-By-Instructions and Images for Making Instant Pan Handvo
- Crush ginger, garlic, and green chilies in a blender or mortar-pestle. Keep aside.
- Dry saute peanuts until they are crispy. When cold, crush them a bit. Keep aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add all the dry ingredients like semolina, chickpea flour (gram flour), hing powder, cooking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Next, add curds, ginger-garlic-green chili paste, cumin-coriander powder, grated bottle gourd, grated carrots, finely chopped capsicum, chopped coriander, sugar, oil, turmeric powder, and crushed peanuts.
- Mix thoroughly. If the batter is too thick, add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Mix once. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, heat a medium-sized non-stick pan. Add two teaspoons of oil. Throw in mustard seeds, half portion of sesame seeds, and chopped curry leaves.
- Let the mustard and sesame crackle. Pour the handvo batter into the pan. Spread it a little. Spread the remaining sesame seeds on the top. Keep the heat medium-low. Cover the pan.
- Observe the pan often to find out whether the pancake gets golden brown in the bottom.
- Flip it carefully. Add a few drops of oil to the bottom and the edges. Let the other side also get cooked and become crispy.
- The cooking takes about 15 minutes over low flame. Turn off the heat. Immerse the pan on a plate. Cut the handvo into four slices.
- Serve the slices as is. They are delicious on their own. If you wish, eat them with tomato ketchup.
- Handvo is a healthy snack you can also carry in your lunch box. It tastes awesome even when cold.