How to Make a Spicy Rice Flour Flatbread or Masala Akki Rotti
Masala Akki Rotti or Spicy Rice Flour Flatbread
Making Spicy Rice Flour Flatbread or Masala Akki Rotti At-a-Glance:
Making akki rotti for the breakfast does not need any prior planning. You can make them in about 30 minutes and have enough for 2-3 people.
To make this, you have to put rice flour in a mixing bowl. Then add finely chopped onions, chopped green chilies, grated carrot, grated coconut, cumin seeds, salt, finely chopped curry leaves, and coriander leaves. Knead them together, adding water little by little to get a firm and pliable dough.
Now, you have to make the flatbread with this dough. Pinch out a big lemon-sized dough. Make a thin flatbread on a greased plastic sheet. Put it on a greased hot pan. Roast both sides, adding some oil. Done!
Yummy and crunchy masala akki rotti is ready! It is a filling dish. You can have one or two of them hot for the breakfast.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
Ingredients for Making Spicy Rice Flour Flatbread
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, not so hot variety, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tsp oil, for making each flatbread/rotti
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Masala Akki Rotti or Spicy Rice Flour Flatbread
- Take rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients to it, except oil. Mix them together. Knead, adding water little by little to get a firm and pliable dough. Now, you have to make the rotti or flatbread out of this dough.
- Take out a big lemon-sized dough. Form a ball out of it. Place it on the center of a greased plastic sheet or banana leaf. Evenly spread the dough with your greased fingers to make a moderately thin disc of about 6-inch diameter. Refer the pic.
- Heat a griddle or pan for cooking this disc. Sprinkle a few drops of oil on it. Place the raw flatbread on the center. Add a few drops of oil on the top. Cook it on a medium-low fire for 2 minutes. It should get golden on the bottom. Flip it now.
- Roast the other side also for 2-3 minutes. Add a little oil on the top. This is the time to remove the rotti on a serving plate.
- Make all the rottis in the similar way, using the remaining dough.
- Serve one or two hot masala rice rotti on a plate, accompanied with a spicy chutney or pickle. These flat breads are filling. Enjoy eating this awesome breakfast!
Nutritional Information of Masala Akki Rotti
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 152 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|