How to Make Spicy Tava Idli/Idli Recipes
Spicy Tava Idli
Hot and Spicy Tava Idli
Idlis are popular Indian breakfast dish. Now, they have gained popularity in the whole world. They are healthy and delicious. We regularly make idlis.
Even though they are tasty and nutritious, sometimes we get bored of eating the same old version. Regular idlis are bland. They need a spicy condiment or accompaniment like chutney, sambar, or sauce to eat with.
When we are short on time, making two items as a combo becomes often difficult. In such case, tava idli is a perfect choice. This snack is hot and spicy. You don't need any side dish for this. This tastes completely different from the regular idlis. Making this dish is easy.
It is also a way to use up your left over idlis.
I will share the spicy tava idli recipe with you.
- 6-8 idlis, chopped bite-size
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala, available in Indian stores
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp white lentils/urad dal
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Tava Idli
- Chop idlis in bite-sized pieces. You can also use left over idlis for this. Refrigerating the idlis for some time makes them firm, so that you can cut them properly.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in white lentils. Saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped or grated ginger, finely chopped onions, and turmeric powder.
- Saute together till onions turn translucent. Throw in chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook them till they become mushy. Now, the oil starts separating near the edges.
- Add red chili powder and pav bhaji masala. Saute for 30 seconds on low heat. Add a few drops of water. Keep the mix wet.
- Add some salt. Remember that idlis already have salt. Hence, use less salt.
- Throw in the chopped idlis. Add lemon juice. Toss them till all the idli cubes are coated with the spicy masala.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Serve it hot in a bowl, garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy eating this hot and spicy tava idli.