How to Make Vegetable and Vermicelli Upma
Wheat Vermicelli and Vegetable Upma
A Wholesome Dish for the Lunchbox Too
Making vermicelli and vegetable upma is easy. You need only basic ingredients to make it. It took me about 35 minutes to make this breakfast for four people.
You have to roast the vermicelli before cooking it with the vegetables. Otherwise, the upma becomes mushy. Use vegetables of your choice, such as carrots, onions, french beans, green peas, capsicum, tomato, etc in this recipe. Adding lemon juice, grated coconut, and chopped coriander leaves gives a nice flavor to this upma.
Let me share the detailed recipe now.
- 2 cups wheat vermicelli, broken
- 1/2 cup beans and carrots, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, diced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/6 cup green peas or hyacinth beans, optional, I used
- 4 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, optional
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Wheat Vermicelli and Vegetable Upma:
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add peanuts. Saute on a low fire till they are crisp. Add curry leaves. Mix well. Collect peanuts and curry leaves in a plate. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add vermicelli. Saute, till they turn crispy and golden brown. This may take about 4-5 minutes on a low fire. Collect it in a plate. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some oil. Heat the pan. Throw in chopped onions. Saute till they are golden.
- Add all other chopped vegetables. Add some salt. This will make the cooking faster. Stir-cook them for 3-4 minutes. Add turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Pour 4 glasses of water. Stir once. Let the mix boil for 2-3 minutes. Add roasted vermicelli. Keep the flame low. Mix well. Cover the pan. Stir the mix occasionally.
- After 5-6 minutes, vermicelli gets cooked along with the veggies and becomes dry. Add lemon juice, roasted peanuts, grated coconut, remaining salt, sugar, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well. Turn off the fire after 30 seconds. Vermicelli and vegetables upma is ready!
- Transfer it to a serving dish. Eat it hot, and enjoy the taste.
Nutritional Information of Wheat Vermicelli and Vegetable Upma
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 116 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|