How to Make a Simple Semolina Bean Upma or Porridge
Semolina Bean Upma
A Healthy and Filling Breakfast Without Planning!
I have seen many people make semolina porridge or upma when they are in a hurry. It doesn't mean that upma are worthless. It is a versatile dish. It is everyone's favorite. Making this spicy semolina porridge is a fun because of many ways to prepare it.
It is an easy and simple recipe that can be made with few ingredients. If you want to make it special, you may need a few more inclusions. To be truthful, upma is a beginner cook's dish. I added fresh hyacinth beans to make it healthier. You can even add fresh green peas to make a nutty upma.
The consistency of upma should either be a bit thick and firm or semi-solid like a porridge. It is an individual preference. If you want a porridge consistency, you need to add more water while boiling the semolina. Serve hot upma garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves and chips on the side.
Ingredients for Making Semolina Bean Upma
- 1 bowl medium semolina
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder, optional, gives good flavor
- 1/2 tsp white lentil or urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 4-5 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp or less sugar
- 2-3 tbsp ghee and oil mix, 1 tbsp ghee and 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup green peas or beans, boiled
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for making a Simple Semolina Bean Upma
- Heat half of the ghee-oil mix in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute till mustard splutters. Add asafoetida powder. Mix well.
- Add semolina. Go on sauteing on a low fire, till you get the nice aroma of the semolina. This may take about 5-6 minutes. Transfer it to a steel plate.
- To the same pan, add the remaining ghee-oil mix. Throw in chopped onions and green chilies. Saute till they become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook till they become soft, not mushy. Throw in cooked beans or green peas.
- Add about 6 cups of water. Let it boil with the other contents. Add salt and sugar. Lower the heat. Gently slide roasted semolina mix. Give a quick stir to ensure there are no lumps formed.
- Cook covering the pan for 3-4 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add some chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and grated coconut. Mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Hot semolina bean upma is ready to serve. Serve it hot, garnished with a few chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Semolina Bean Upma
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 48 g||16%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 324 mg||14%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|