Making a Healthy Indian Breakfast: Vegetable Upma
Upma, a Daily Breakfast Dish:
Upma is a popular Indian breakfast food. This is a simple recipe that can be followed by any amateur cook. To make it more tasty and healthy, I added veggies and spices.
When I don't plan a breakfast, I prepare this simple dish with the ingredients available in my kitchen. Note that upma is to be eaten hot to get the most pleasure from eating it.
I used onions, ginger, tomatoes, french beans, capsicum, carrots, oil, ghee, sugar, hing powder, lemon juice, and salt along with wheat semolina. Vegetable upma makes a wholesome food for lunch box too.
Now, let me share the recipe.
Ingredients for Making Vegetable Upma
- 1 Bowl wheat semolina, moderately fine variety
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, diced
- 1/8 cup carrots, diced
- 3 french beans, cut lengthwise
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp white lentils
- 1/2 tsp bengal gram split
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4-5 green chilies, hot variety, slit lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, optional, I used
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vegetable Upma
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds, bengal gram split, white lentils, curry leaves, and hing powder. Saute on a low fire, till mustard pops up. In the meantime, lentils will also become golden.
- Add wheat semolina. Saute for 5 minutes on a low fire. By this time, semolina emits a nice aroma. Don't fry it for a longer time. Transfer the contents to a plate.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Add chopped onions. Saute till they turn pinkish and transparent. Throw in chopped ginger and green chilies. Saute for further 30 seconds.
- Next, add all the remaining vegetables. Saute for 3-4 minutes on medium-high fire, stirring continuously. Add 6 glasses of water. Throw in some salt and turmeric powder. Bring the mix to a boil. Reduce the heat.
- Slowly pour roasted semolina into the pan, so that lumps are not formed. Stir immediately to mix it with the water in the pan. Keep the heat lowest.
- Cover the pan and cook for while. Open the lid often and check whether the mix is too dry. If yes, add some hot water. Semolina cooks fast. It may take hardly 4-5 minutes to cook. Now, the mix becomes almost semi-solid.
- Add sugar, remaining salt, and lemon juice. After a minute, add a teaspoon of ghee, grated coconut, and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Turn off the fire.
- Awesome vegetable upma is ready! Serve hot by putting it in a small round bowl and immersing on a serving plate. Refer the pic. Garnish with some sev(tidbits) on top. Enjoy eating!
Nutritional Information of Vegetable Upma :
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 380 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|