I used to work in my family's restaurant and helped run it. I love good food, and I've cooked family meals for over 60 years.
Nutritious Breakfast Option
This recipe is particularly useful if you are trying to lose weight or are diabetic, or just trying to eat healthily.
How It All Started
I have been on a course called Second Nature, a weight-loss programme endorsed by the British National Health Service. The course is all about changing your mental and physical lifestyle habits and becoming more aware of healthy eating. They and many other health experts have been extolling the virtues of regularly including oats and unrefined whole grains in your diet, as they help to lower cholesterol and the risk of heart attacks and strokes, as well as assisting in keeping diabetes under better control.
This led me to read up a bit about oats in general, and I now eat them for breakfast several times a week. Because I enjoy experimenting and trying out foods which are new to me, I came across a product I had never seen until recently, ground oats (which are in effect powdered oats), and I ordered a large pack online. It's good for smoothies, as it has a thickening effect on liquids, as well as being nutritious, and I decided to try it to thicken my porridge oats breakfasts to make a change. It worked well, and the results are set out in the recipe below.
Preparation and Cook Time
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons ground oats
- 1 tablesoon rolled oats (porridge oats)
- 4 tablespoons milk, or more if you like it runny
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style full cream yogurt, plain or coconut (coconut is much sweeter than plain)
- Handful dried fruit and nuts (e.g. raisins, cranberries, chopped dates, chopped or flaked nuts)
- Mix the milk and ground oats in a cereal bowl until you have a smooth paste. Then add the rolled oats and mix thoroughly.
- Add the yogurt and stir. Then add the fruit and nuts, either sprinkled across the top or stirred in.
Daily Oats and Nutrition
© 2021 Diana Grant
Poppy from Enoshima, Japan on June 22, 2021:
Yummy! I bought oats to make oat milk but it turned out badly. I've had oatmeal a few times with brown sugar and cinnamon, but I'll try out this recipe too. Thanks for sharing.