Recipe: Onion Pancakes, or Onion Uttappa
Onion pancakes, or onion uttappa, are a very soft and delicious type of flatbread made using rice and lentil crepe batter. You can make onion pancakes with other crepe batters as well, but I prefer rice and lentil crepe batter as the base because it makes naturally soft, fluffy, and flavorful pancakes. You can also buy dosa/idli batter from Indian stores to make these if you prefer.
- 1 big bowl crepe/dosa batter, made of rice and split dehusked black lentil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1 cup mix of finely chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves
- oil (approx 1 tsp for each pancake)
- Heat a dosa/crepe griddle or a flat pan. Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix a md pour about 1 1/2 ladles full of batter on the center. Spread it just a little—it should be somewhat thick.
- Keep the mixture of chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, diced green chilies, and grated ginger handy.
- Spread a fistful of onion-ginger-green chili mix on the pancake. Gently press them so they won't detach from the pancake while flipping.
- Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix on the pancake and cover it with a lid. Keep the heat at medium-high.
- Flip it when the bottom turns golden-brown. Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix on the other side.
- See that both sides of the pancake become golden brown. Turn off the fire, remove the pancake, and keep it on a serving plate.
- Your delicious, crunchy onion pancake or onion uttappa is ready to eat. Serve hot with a spicy coconut chutney. Relish the flavors of the herbs and spices!
1. Keep crepe batter/dosa batter thick to making the pancake.
2. Properly fermented batter makes for a fluffy and soft pancake.
3. Top with plenty of diced onion to enjoy the crunchiness.
4. Always serve hot.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 213 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|