Onion Pancakes or Onion Uttappa Recipe
A Brief Summary of How to Make Onion Pancake
Onion pancakes or onion uttappa are a very soft and delicious flatbread made of rice and lentil crepe batter. You can make onion pancakes with other crepe batters as well. However, I prefer rice and lentil crepe batter as the base ingredient because it makes naturally soft, fluffy, and flavorful pancakes. You can even buy dosa/idli batter from Indian stores to make these.
Instructions at a Glance:
Take fermented rice and lentil crepe (dosa) batter in a bowl. If it is store bought, keep it out of refrigerator for half an hour before using. Keep handy a mixture of lots of chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, diced green chilies, and grated ginger.
Heat a dosa griddle or pan. Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix. Just rub it across the pan. Pour 1 1/2 ladle crepe batter on the center. Spread it a little to make a pancake. Take a fistful of onion-ginger-chili mix and evenly spread it on the surface of the pancake. Gently press it a little, so that they won't detach from the pancake while flipping. Sprinkle a few drops of ghee-oil mix on the top. Let the fire be medium high. Cover the pan. After cooking for 2 minutes, flip the pancake. Add a few drops of ghee-oil mix. Cook for 2 minutes or till it gets golden brown. Remove it and keep on a serving plate. Serve hot with a spicy coconut chutney. Repeat the same for the whole batter. Enjoy eating delicious onion pancake!
Ingredients for Making Onion Pancake or Onion Uttappa
- 1 big bowl crepe/dosa batter, made of rice and split dehusked black lentil, You can buy dosa/idli batter from Indian stores.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1 cup mix of finely chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves
- oil for making the pancake, approx 1 tsp for each pancake
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions for Making Onion Pancakes or Onion Uttappa
- Heat a dosa/crepe griddle or a flat pan. Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix. Pour about 1 1/2 ladle full batter in on center. Spread it just a little. It should be thick.
- Keep handy the mixture of chopped onions, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, diced green chilies, and grated ginger.
- Spread a fistful of onion-ginger-green chili mix on the pancake. Gently press them, so that they won't detach from the pancake while flipping.
- Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix on the pancake. Cover it with a lid. Keep the heat medium high.
- Flip it when the bottom turns golden brown. Add a few drops of ghee and oil mix on the other side.
- See that both sides of the pancake becomes golden brown. Turn off the fire. Remove and keep it on a serving plate.
- Delicious, crunchy onion pancake or onion uttappa is ready to eat. Serve hot with a spicy coconut chutney. Relish the flavors of herbs and spices!
Some Noteworthy Tips
1. Keep crepe batter/dosa batter thick for making the pancake.
2. Properly fermented batter makes fluffy and soft pancake.
3. Top plenty of diced onion for the onion pancake to enjoy the crunchiness.
4. Always serve hot onion pancake.
Nutritional Information of Onion Pancake/Onion Uttappa
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 213 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|