I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Quick and Easy Breakfast
Hailing from Switzerland, potato rosti has become a popular breakfast all over the world. Traditionally, the recipe does not contain cheese, but I think cheese is an excellent addition. Making cheese potato rosti took me about 35 minutes.
Potatoes are naturally gluten-free and packed with potassium, fiber, antioxidants, fiber, and magnesium. It is also low-calorie and contains no fat, sodium, or cholesterol.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 or 4 potatoes, washed, peeled, and grated
- 1/4 cup cheese, grated
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (increase if you prefer spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian mixed herbs (or dried oregano)
- 3-4 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash peel, and grate the potatoes. Rinse the grated potato with water to remove the sticky substance. Squeeze out the water and discard the water.
- Add the potato gratings to a mixing bowl. Add the chili flakes, pepper powder, Italian mixed herbs, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- Add butter to a deep-bottomed pan and heat it. Add chopped onions and saute over medium heat for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to the minimum.
- Evenly spread half of the grated cheese over the onions. Evenly spread half of the potato mixture on top.
- Spread the remaining cheese to make the second layer of cheese. Finally, spread the remaining potato mixture evenly on top. Press it down a little. Add some butter on the edges.
- Cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes. Check whether the edges are becoming brownish. Increase the heat if the cooking process is too slow.
- Once the edges become brown, run the spatula around the edges and try to see whether the bottom side has become brown. If yes, flip it over.
- Cook until the other side becomes brown and crispy. Turn off the heat.
- Run the spatula around and place a plate on the top. Invert the pan to turn out the potato rosti on the plate.
- Cut the rosti into slices and serve hot with any desired condiments (e.g., tomato sauce or hot sauce). Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 02, 2020:
Thanks, Linda Crampton. Yeah. This recipe has a good combination of potatoes, cheese, and spices.
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on June 01, 2020:
I love the combination of cheese and potatoes. Onions, herbs, and spices would be great additions. Your recipe sounds very tasty.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 01, 2020:
Hi, Umesh Chandra Bhatt, thanks for visiting the hub. Please try this recipe!
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on June 01, 2020:
This looks delicious. Would try.