Quick Protein Breakfast: The Egg Taco
This awesome breakfast was shared with me by my mother-in-law. She is from Mexico, and she always concocts the most wonderful recipes. She makes traditional Mexican food, carries on Mexican family recipes, and she makes American food with a Mexican twist to it. Her “Egg Taco” is my favorite recipe she has shared with me yet. When I was engaged, I told her to meet me at my house so we could both go to my dress appointment together. She arrived absolutely starving, and she asked if we had corn tortilla and eggs. I replied yes, and she asked if she could make herself a quick breakfast. She was running late that morning, and she did not have time to eat. I, of course, said she could make herself breakfast. Once I saw the end product, I thought it was genius.
Rate this Recipe
- 1 corn tortilla, La Bandarita is the best brand
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon cheese, preferably Queso Fresco
- 1 tablespoon Valentina Salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat a frying pan on medium heat with olive oil in it for 2 minutes before placing the corn tortilla on the pan.
The tortilla needs to be heated on the pan for 1 minute, or until the tortilla is warm.
2. Crack the egg and slowly place it in the center of the tortilla.
I slightly crack the egg open and hold the egg on the tortilla for about 20 seconds until I am certain it will stay put. If you just crack it open on the tortilla, the egg could slide off the tortilla.
3. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the egg is half cooked.
If you wait for it to be fully cooked, the bottom of the tortilla will burn.
4. Now it is time to flip the tortilla! Let it cook for 2 minutes.
I flip with a big spatula, and I have to tilt the pan a bit to ensure the egg stays on. If you have a harsh flip, you will risk breaking the yolk. I also turn off the stove once I flip the tortilla.
5. It is now time to add your toppings of sliced avocado, cheese, and Valentina Salsa.
If you are really in a rush, you can just eat it as is. However, it tastes really good when you add on the toppings. Just fold it up like a taco, and you are ready to eat!