Eggy Faces: A Quick and Easy Kid-Friendly Breakfast Recipe
Quick and Easy Kid-Friendly Recipe: Eggy Faces
Fun, Delicious, and Nutritious
This easy meal is both nutritious and fun! Your little ones can enjoy participating in the making of it, as well as expressing their creativity while designing their very own eggy faces. 100% kid-approved.
Eggy faces are the kid-friendly version of what is better known as ‘egg in the basket’ or ‘egg in the hole,’ which can be described as an egg fried in a hole in a slice of bread.
This can be made for any mealtime, and the ingredients used are those that are most readily available in the kitchen. It is so simple to make, and a variety of toppings can be used to create the face. Check what toppings you have on hand, and let your kids' imagination fly.
More Toppings to Try
Salami, ham, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, avocados, and mushrooms.
While growing up, eggy faces were very popular among my friends and I. So popular our moms had to make it on a regular basis. Enjoying these while slurping on some chocolate milk is a fond memory that I will cherish forever. I hope you will find the same joy in making and tasting them.
How to Make Eggy Faces
The recipe below is for 1 serving only.
- 1 slice bread
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, (for frying)
- grated cheese (for the hair)
- vienna sausage
- tomato sauce
Or any toppings of your choice.
- Cut out 3 circles in the shape of eyes and a nose in a slice of bread (I used tot glasses to get the desired sizes).
- On medium heat, add the butter to a frying pan. Ensure the surface is properly coated.
- Place the slice of bread and circular bread cutouts in the pan.
- Crack open the egg and carefully allow only the egg white to pass through, filling the 3 holes in the slice of bread. Place the separated egg yolk elsewhere on the pan to cook.
- Once the bread has toasted on one side, flip it over to allow the other side to brown. Do not flip the egg yolk.
- Once the bread has toasted on both sides and the yolk has cooked, remove from the heat and arrange on a plate.
- Use the toppings to create your eggy face and enjoy.
Share Your Ideas
What other toppings can you think of that would work well with this meal?
© 2017 Maz Fouche