MH Bonham is an award-winning author and editor. Bonham is also the author of more than 50 books as well as thousands of articles.
You know oatmeal is good for you, but oatmeal every day can get a little boring. Why not spice it up and have overnight oats instead? Not only does preparing oatmeal this way take very little time, but it's ready to eat the moment you get up in the morning.
No one said that oatmeal has to be dull, which is why I created this recipe. You can have a healthy breakfast that tastes awesome with raspberries, chocolate, and nuts. Yum!
Overnight Oat Basics
To make overnight oats, you'll need a refrigerator and a wide-mouth pint mason jar. You don't need to cook the oats—they absorb the liquid and soften in the refrigerator overnight (hence, the name). This recipe will make one serving.
Read More From Delishably
Always use old-fashioned rolled oats or rolled grains for overnight oats. Quick oats will not work, nor will the steel-cut variety. One will be too mushy, and the other will be too hard. You can use any type of milk you desire: cow, goat, almond, soy, nut, etc., just be sure to use enough to cover your ingredients.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, or seven grain mix
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp sugar, honey, agave, or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup raspberry yogurt
- 1 Tbsp nuts (your choice), plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup milk, or enough to cover ingredients
- 1/8 tsp salt
Cook Time (Actually, no cooking involved!)
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 hours 5 min
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a pint mason jar with a screw-type lid.
- Close lid and shake well.
- Add wet ingredients, including milk. Stir or close the lid and shake well.
- Screw cap on tightly. Put in refrigerator and leave there overnight or a minimum of four hours.
- Open jar. Stir and pour into a bowl.
- Add chocolate, raspberries, and nuts as a topping/garnish. Enjoy!
Raspberry Overnight Oats Recipe
More About Overnight Oats
I cover overnight oats extensively in another article, Make Your Own Overnight Oats (or Seven Grain Oats), where I give you a basic overnight oats recipe. You may want to check it out to learn about more variations.