Rice Semolina and Bean Steamed Dumplings (Rice Pundi) Recipe
What are Rice Semolina Steamed Dumplings?
Making a healthy breakfast needs some planning. Once in a while on a lazy day, you may not plan your breakfast. This recipe comes to your rescue on those occasions. You can start making these dumplings straight away without any prior preparations.
You need rice semolina, grated coconut, some mustard seeds, white lentils, some fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, hing/asafoetida, oil, a little curd, and salt for making these rice dumplings.
An Overview of Making these Steamed Dumplings:
You have to start the recipe by making a tempering. For that, heat some oil in a deep pan. Throw mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds into it. Let mustard crackle. Add white lentils and curry leaves. Add semolina and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Stir-cook on low fire for 5-6 minutes. Add grated coconut. Continue stirring for two more minutes or till the semolina becomes dry and a little mushy. The mix should be such that you should be able to make dumplings out of them. Turn off the fire.
Prepare steamer/cooker to steam the dumplings. Take a fistful of the mix and press on all sides to get a ball shape. Make a depression in the center as shown in the pic. This will help in cooking them faster. Place it on the perforated steamer plate. Make many such shapes using the entire mix. Steam-cook them on medium-high fire for 10-12 minutes. Turn off the fire.
Open the lid. Take them out one by one when they are warm. Serve 4-5 of them in a plate with spicy onion chutney or any other chutney. Enjoy this lovely breakfast!
Add some fresh hyacinth beans with the rice semolina. All other procedures remain same. Yes.. don't forget to par boil the beans before adding. These dumplings will have nice bean flavor in them.
Ingredients for Making Rice Semolina and Bean Steamed Dumplings
- 180 g (approx) rice semolina
- 1 1/2 heaped cup grated coconut
- 1/8 cup par boiled hyacinth beans, optional, I had it; hence used, gives nice flavor
- 12 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 tsp white lentil, for the tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, for the tempering
- 2 tsp oil, for the tempering
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp yogurt or thick curd, optional, gives fresh white color to the dumplings
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Rice Semolina and Bean Steamed Dumplings
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let mustard crackle. Add white lentil, hing powder, and curry leaves. Fry till lentils turn golden.
- Add rice semolina. Mix well. Stir-fry for 3 minutes on low fire. Add warm water little by little to immerse the entire semolina. You may have to use about 2 cups of water. See that there are no lumps.
- Add salt, par boiled hyacinth beans(optional), and grated coconut. Stir-cook on low fire till the mix becomes dry and a bit mushy. Turn off the fire. Let it cool.
- Make the steamer/cooker ready for steaming the dumplings.
- When the mix is still warm, take a fistful of the mix, press inside the fist and shape it like a ball. Flatten a little and make a depression in the center as shown in the pic. You can even make any other shape. Make shapes using the entire mix.
- Arrange the dumplings inside the cooker plate. Cover the lid and steam cook for about 10 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Partially open the cooker/steamer. Allow it to cool. You can take the dumplings out once they are not so hot.
- Rice semolina and bean steamed dumplings are ready to serve. Serve them 3-4 in a plate accompanied with spicy onion sauce/chutney or with any other spicy chutney. Enjoy eating these yummy dumplings!