How to Make a Simple Croque Madame for Breakfast
Today I would like to show you guys some recipes that I have done that are very simple and delicious. I used to work at a French bistro where the chef taught me the basics of French food and flavor combinations. Also something you will notice about these dishes is that they are very light, and you might have some of the ingredients at home already.
This croque madame is made with brioche toast, but if you don't have any, I would recommend whole wheat bread. It's very firm. And when it's toasted, it's amazing. That's exactly what we are looking for that.
- Brioche toast or whole wheat bread
- Gruyere cheese
- 1 egg
- Chives (optional for garnishing)
Did you know?
The difference between croque madame and croque monsieur is that croque madame has a fried or poached egg on top and the monsieur does not.
- Take the bread, and put it in the oven to toast a bit. For about 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Once the bread is out start building it, add your sliced ham, and sliced gruyere cheese. Close up your sandwhich and shred some of that cheese on top of the bread.
- Put the bread in the oven once more for at least 3 more minutes, until then heat up a pan and to start making your fried egg, some people use butter and some people use oil, whatever you decide to use, it's just a fried egg.
- When done, take your bread out, out the egg on top and garnish it with the chives, it will give it a fresh flavor.
- Salad is optional, but if you decide to do it some greens, olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar will do. Or you could create your own french salad dressing.
Smoked salmon salad
Ingredients and directions
- Smoked salmon
- Cilantro (picked)
- Fennel (Julianned)
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- baguette cut in bias
- Make your salad. In a small bowl take the cilantro leaves, and fennel them add salt and pepper, lime juice and olive oil. Then refrigerate until you are done with your plating.
- Take the cut baguette and put it in the oven for about 6 minutes, at 400°F until the edges are brown. Then take it out and it's done for your plating.
- Take the smoked salmon and plate it around the plate leaving space on the middle, take out your salad and put it in the center of the plate, top it off with some capers and then add your bread.
This recipe is very simple. It's all about combining the right ingredients. This is a very light dish, mostly served at Sunday brunches in spring. Enjoy!!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Cristal Canario