I am a culinary graduate. I've always had a passion for food, and I love sharing that passion by showing some of my delicious recipes.
Today, I would like to show you guys some recipes that I have done that are very simple and delicious. I used to work at a French bistro where the chef taught me the basics of French food and flavor combinations. Also, something you will notice about these dishes is that they are very light, and you might have some of the ingredients at home already.
Ingredients for the Croque Madame
- Brioche toast or whole wheat bread
- Gruyère cheese
- 1 egg
- Chives (optional for garnishing)
- Take the bread, and put it in the oven to toast a bit for about 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Once the bread is out, start building the croque madame: Add your sliced ham and sliced Gruyère cheese. Close up your sandwich and shred some of the cheese on top of the bread.
- Put the bread in the oven once more for at least 3 more minutes. Meanwhile, heat up a pan and start making your fried egg. Some people use butter and some people use oil; whatever you decide to use, it's just a fried egg.
- When done, take your bread out, put the egg on top, and garnish it with the chives; they will give it a fresh flavor.
- Salad is optional, but if you decide to do it, some greens, olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar will do. Or you could create your own French salad dressing.
Did You Know?
The difference between croque madame and croque monsieur is that croque madame has a fried or poached egg on top, and the monsieur does not.
Ingredients for the Smoked Salmon Salad
- Smoked salmon
- Cilantro (picked)
- Fennel (julienned)
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Baguette cut in bias
- Make your salad. In a small bowl, take the cilantro leaves and fennel, then add salt and pepper, lime juice, and olive oil. Refrigerate until you are done with your plating.
- Take the cut baguette and put it in the oven for about 6 minutes at 400°F until the edges are brown. Take it out, and it's done for your plating.
- Take the smoked salmon and place it around the plate, leaving space in the middle. Take out your salad and put it in the center of the plate. Finally, top it off with some capers, and then add your bread.
© 2017 Cristal Canario