Steamed Lentil Fenugreek Baskets With Chickpea Salad
Lentil Fenugreek Baskets With Black Chickpea Salad
Lentil Baskets With Garbanzo Beans Are Truly Appetizing!
Some leftover fenugreek leaves lying in my kitchen prompted me to make this yummy breakfast snack. Here, you have to make two different dishes: lentil baskets and black chickpea salad.
I thought that making them simultaneously might be cumbersome. But to my surprise, it was truly thrilling to make these baskets and fill them with the chickpea salad. I tasted a basket with the black chickpea filling. Wow! It was just fantastic.
These are filling snacks. You can eat three or four of them for breakfast. You don't really need any side dish or sauce to eat them. They are aromatic and appetizing on their own.
Now, let me share the recipe with you.
- 3/4 cup split pigeon pea/toor dal, soaked in water for 4 hours.
- 2-3 tbsp fenugreek leaves, washed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped,
- 2 pinches hing/asafetida powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup black chickpeas, washed, soaked in water overnight, for the salad
- 1 tbsp grated coconut, for the salad
- 1 green chili, finely chopped, for the salad
- a pinch hing/asafetida powder, for the salad
- 2-3 curry leaves, roughly chopped, for the salad
- 1/6 tsp sugar, for the salad
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for the salad
- 1/2 tsp oil, for the salad
- 1/6 tsp turmeric powder, for the salad
- salt to taste, for the salad
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Lentil Fenugreek Baskets With Black Chickpea Salad
Making the Lentil Fenugreek Baskets:
- Wash and soak split pigeon peas in fresh water for 4 hours. Strain them.
- Put them into a mixer or blender. Add chopped green chilies, grated coconut, salt, and hing powder.
- Pulse them to get a medium-smooth paste. No need to add water while grinding.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add finely chopped fenugreek leaves. Mix well. Taste the mix. Adjust salt according to your taste.
- Make ready the steamer for cooking. Grease the steamer plate. Take a big lemon-sized batter and shape it like a small bowl.
- Make 7-8 such bowls with the entire batter. Place them on the steamer plate. Steam-cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the stove. Now, the baskets are ready.
- Open the lid. Take out the steamer plate. Now, the baskets are firm. Arrange them on a serving dish.
Making Black Chickpea Salad:
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Strain them. Add fresh water and some salt.
- Cook them in a pressure cooker up to 3 whistles and simmer for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the lid, once the pressure releases naturally. Strain them. Collect the chickpeas.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add chopped green chilies, hing powder, turmeric powder, and chopped curry leaves.
- Saute for 30 seconds. Throw in cooked chickpeas.
- Add sugar and very little salt, as you have already added salt while boiling chickpeas.
- Saute till the water content in the chickpeas evaporates. Throw in grated coconut. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Black chickpea salad is ready.
How to Fill the Lentil Baskets With the Chickpea Salad:
- Arrange the lentil baskets on a serving dish.
- Fill each of these baskets with the black chickpea salad. Refer the pic for the right way of filling.
- Serve 3 of these baskets filled with salad for breakfast.
- They are very delicious and nutrient rich. Enjoy breakfast!