I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Delightful Breakfast
Whenever I think about breakfast, pancakes are the first things that come to mind. I combine many healthy ingredients in these pancakes to make them nutritious. Fenugreek leaves (methi) are one such ingredient that is loved by everyone. Eating fenugreek has many health benefits. It is delicious and aromatic as well.
Fenugreek contains many vital nutrients and vitamins. It is a low-calorie and high-fiber food. It is a good source of folic acid, niacin, vitamins A, C, and B6, protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, etc. The dishes made of methi are slightly bitter but well-liked due to their taste and unique aroma.
These pancakes are scrumptious and filling. You don't need any side dish to eat them with. Now, let me show you how to make the spicy batter and the methi pancakes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 cups rice, washed, soaked in water
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 8 dry red chilies
- small lemon-sized tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- blueberry-sized jaggery
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 2 big bowls packed fenugreek (methi) leaves, washed, patted dry, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oil, to make each pancake
- You have to start this dish by making a spicy batter. For that, you have to soak rice as per instructions for about 5 hours.
- Next, strain it. Put it in a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, dry red chilies, tamarind, jaggery, turmeric powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, hing powder, and salt.
- Grind, adding water little by little, to get a near-smooth batter. Rest the batter for 3 or 4 hours. Don't ferment. This is the spicy batter for making the fenugreek leaf pancake.
- If you are not using the batter after it finishes resting, store it in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature before using it.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaf and chopped onions to this batter. Mix well. For making the pancake, the batter should be moderately thick. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Taste the mix. Adjust salt as per your taste.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan. Grease it with oil. Pour on about 4 tablespoons of the batter. Spread it evenly to make a thick disc.
- Add a few drops of oil on the surface. Cover the pan. Keep the heat medium-high.
- Flip it once the bottom becomes golden brown. Add a few drops of oil on the other side, too.
- Now, there's no need to cover the pan. Reduce the heat. Cook both sides till golden brown.
- Remove it with the help of a spatula. Place it on a serving plate. Repeat the same process for making all the pancakes.
- Keep the leftover batter in the refrigerator for future use. This batter remains fresh for 2 to 3 days if stored in a refrigerator.
- Serve the hot fenugreek leaf pancake. You don't need any side dish or condiment to eat this. It is spicy and very delicious on its own. Enjoy the taste!