Step-By-Step Guide to Making Spicy Fenugreek Leaf Pancake (Methi Roti)
Fenugreek Leaf Pancake or Methi Roti
A Delightful Breakfast
Whenever I think about breakfast, pancakes are the first things that come to my mind. I combine many healthy ingredients in these pancakes to make them nutritious. Fenugreek leaves (methi) is one such ingredient that is loved by everyone. Eating fenugreek has many health benefits. It is delicious and aromatic as well.
Fenugreek contains many vital nutrients and vitamins. It has low-calorie and high-fiber. It is a good source of folic acid, niacin, vitamin A, C, B 6, Protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, etc. The dishes made of methi are slightly bitter but loved by everyone due to its taste and unique aroma.
For making fenugreek leaf pancake, you have to make a spicy batter with rice and spices. Next, you have to mix chopped fenugreek leaves and onions with this batter. Make pancakes in a griddle or flat pan.
These pancakes are scrumptious and filling. You don't need any side dish to eat them with.
Now, let me show you how to make the spicy batter and methi pancakes.
- 3 cups rice, washed, soaked in water
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 8 dry red chilies
- small lemon size tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
- blue berry size jaggery
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 big bowls packed fenugreek(methi) leaves, washed, pat dried, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp oil, to make each pancake
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Fenugreek Leaf Pancake or Methi Roti
- You have to start this dish by making a spicy batter. For that, you have to soak rice as per instructions for about 5 hours.
- Next, strain it. Put it in a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, dry red chilies, tamarind, jaggery, turmeric powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, hing powder, and salt.
- Grind adding water little by little to get a near-smooth batter. Rest the batter for 3 or 4 hours. Don't ferment. This is the spicy batter for making fenugreek leaf pancake.
- If you are not using the batter after resting time, store it in a refrigerator. Bring it to the room temperature before using.
- This batter remains fresh for 3 days if stored in a refrigerator.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaf and chopped onions to this batter. Mix well. For making the pancake, the batter should be moderately thick. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Taste the mix. Adjust salt as per your taste.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan. Grease it with oil. Pour about 4 table spoons of the batter. Spread it evenly to make a thick disc.
- Add a few drops of oil on the surface. Cover the pan. Keep the heat medium high.
- Flip it once the bottom becomes golden brown. Add a few drops of oil on the other side too.
- Now, no need to cover the pan. Reduce the heat. This way, cook both the sides till golden brown.
- Remove it with the help of a spatula. Place it on a serving plate. Repeat the same for making all the pancakes.
- Keep the left over batter in the refrigerator for future use. This batter remains fresh for 2-3 days if stored in a refrigerator.
- Serve hot fenugreek leaf pancake. You don't need any side dish or condiment to eat this. It is spicy and very delicious on its own. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Fenugreek Leaf Pancake or Methi Roti
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 102 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|