Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking large amounts of coffee.
The other day, I wanted to make pancakes, but I didn't have enough pancake mix left over for a complete meal. I had a box of yellow cake mix in the cupboard and decided to try to make pancakes using the cake mix. They turned out to be really tasty! My son was excited when he saw his plate and said they tasted just like cupcakes. My husband even enjoyed them.
Sweet and filling, this recipe is a fun twist for a delicious breakfast. Surprise the kids with breakfast or dinner that tastes like dessert. All you need is a few simple ingredients.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
7 to 8 large pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
For the vanilla glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- assorted sprinkles (optional)
- Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in egg, vanilla extract, and milk until smooth. The batter should be just like regular pancake batter—not too thick, not too thin.
- Preheat skillet. I use an electric skillet and set it to 300°F.
- Coat skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Ladle batter onto skillet for larger pancakes. Use a tablespoon for medium-sized pancakes.
- Allow batter to cook until bubbles begin to form on top. This takes about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. The pancakes should be golden brown on each side.
- To make the vanilla glaze, stir powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together until you have the desired consistency. You may need to add a little more powdered sugar or milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Drizzle vanilla glaze onto each pancake and add sprinkles on top, if desired.
These pancakes are delicious for breakfast and make a fun treat for dinner! Pair them with sausage or bacon.
© 2016 Alyssa
mio cid from Uruguay on September 25, 2016:
very good idea,I will have to try this recipe since I usually improvise ingredients that I don't have and many times it turns out better than the original.