Margie's been an online writer for several years. Her articles focus on great Southern-style recipes for any occasion.
I love casseroles—they are great for family gatherings, holidays, and potluck dinners! They are even better the next day, if that is possible. Happy cooking!
7 Best Casserole Recipes
- Hash Brown Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole With Crunchy Pecan Topping
- Viva Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
- Cube Steak Casserole
- Green Chili Enchilada Casserole
- Eggplant Casserole
- Watching-Your-Weight Green Bean Casserole
1. Hash Brown Casserole
This is a popular casserole and really easy to make. You do not have to hand shred the potatoes, it uses frozen hash browns. I am all for easy and this is one of those recipes. It's a great side dish with any meal; it's similar to the one you get at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant.
- 2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, topping
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the soup, sour cream, butter, cheese, and salt together.
- Add the hash brown potatoes and onion.
- Spread into a 9x13-inch dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Spread over top of the potato mixture the 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese; bake for 15 minutes.
2. Sweet Potato Casserole With Crunchy Pecan Topping
Sweet potato casserole is a great side dish for the holidays. It's topped with a toasted crunchy pecan topping. You are sure to get requests for this delicious recipe!
For the casserole:
- 3 cups cooked sweet potatoes, whipped with an electric mixer
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 stick of butter
- Mix the mashed sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour in a 9x13-inch buttered casserole dish.
- Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour.
3. Viva Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Our granddaughter Lindsey made this yummy recipe while she was staying with us one summer. It's great when the grandkids can cook for you.
We made this casserole disappear quickly and was looking for more! Serve with a tossed salad and Spanish rice. I am sure you will enjoy this as much as we did!
- 1 whole chicken, cooked, deboned, chopped
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream chicken soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small can black olives
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package corn tortillas, 12 count
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute the onion in 1 teaspoon oil.
- Combine soups, chicken, milk, salsa, onion, and olives.
- I like to soften my tortillas in oil, but not needed.
- In a 9x13-inch, pan put a layer of tortillas.
- Cover with half of the chicken mix.
- Cover with half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
I like to bake my chicken instead of boiling; I think it has more flavor. You could also use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
4. Cube Steak Casserole
Cube steak casserole is delicious served over rice, noodles or served alone. It also freezes well and is quick for those nights you do not have time to prepare a full meal, add a dinner salad and you have a great quick meal.
- 2 cubed steaks, ½ to ¾ inch thick
- ¼ to ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 3 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- dash of paprika
- salt and pepper
- flour for dredging steak cubes (about ¼ to ½ cup)
- Remove fat from cubed steak.
- Cut the steaks into cubes, about ½ or ¾ inch size.
- Salt, pepper, and dredge meat cubes in flour.
- Place the butter or margarine in a large regular or electric skillet, heat until melted.
- Brown the steak in melted butter or margarine.
- Add the onions, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and paprika to meat.
- Cook on low heat, about 1 hour.
- Serve over rice, noodles or alone.
- Use cubed steak, sirloin or round steak. All will work well.
- Add fresh mushrooms if you like!
5. Green Chili Enchilada Casserole
Green chili casserole recipe was given to me by a lifetime friend. Just add a large garden salad and you have a delicious meal; leftovers are even better if you have any! This makes a large dish, great for a potluck or family gatherings.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- fajita seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (10.5- ounce) cans of cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups or more Monterrey Jack, Colby or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 to 4 ounces green chilies
- 2 large cans evaporated milk
- 20 or more corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a small amount of the oil in a skillet and heat each tortilla until softened.
- Using another large skillet brown ground beef that has been seasoned with fajita seasoning, do not over brown.
- Mix in a medium saucepan, 2 cans cream of chicken soup, evaporated milk, and green chilies; add the browned beef.
- Heat the mixture until hot and blended.
- In a 9x13-inch pan or glass dish, layer 10 or more tortillas in bottom of the pan.
- Top the tortillas with ½ of soup and the milk mixture and ½ of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes.
This casserole freezes well. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight; then about 1 hour before cooking, set out at room temperature.
6. Eggplant Casserole
Eggplant casserole is loaded with green pepper, onions, mushrooms, garlic, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and other ingredients. It's a great side dish with many types of meats such as chicken, pork or beef, add a green vegetable or salad for a complete meal.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- extra Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- In a medium-size saucepan sauté onion, green pepper, and mushroom in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add the tomato puree, sugar, wine, garlic salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, slice and cut the eggplant in finger-like pieces and dip in the egg and then in Parmesan cheese.
- Brown in 2 tablespoons hot oil, turning until golden on all sides.
- Place the eggplant in 1 ½ quart casserole in layers.
- First, put 3 tablespoon sauce to coat bottom of the dish.
- Add 1/3 of eggplant, 1/3 sauce, and 1/3 Mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers using all the ingredients, ending with the Mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
Yield: 6-8 servings
7. Watching-Your-Weight Green Bean Casserole
Are you looking for some healthy side dishes for the holidays? This green bean casserole would be a good choice. You can put it together quickly with frozen or canned green bean and Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup.
Enjoy the holidays and don’t feel guilty for eating this delicious casserole!
- 2 (9-ounce) bags frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 (3.5-ounce) can Real Bak'd Onion Pieces, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce (optional; note that they are high in sodium)
- In a 1 1/2-quart casserole, mix frozen or canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, milk, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce and half of the onion pieces.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until hot. Stir.
- Top the casserole with the other half of the onion pieces.
- Bake an extra 5 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
WW points: 1.5 points per serving
- May use 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added green beans, drained.
- Use the products called for in the list of ingredients so that your Weight Watcher points will be correct.
Video: King Ranch Casserole
© 2016 Margie's Southern Kitchen
What are your favorite casserole recipes?
Peg Cole from North Dallas, Texas on March 06, 2018:
These recipes look and sound absolutely delicious. I love to make casseroles. That hash brown casserole and the eggplant one make my mouth water. Frankly, all of them do. Thanks for sharing your recipes.
Margie Lynn on October 27, 2016:
Victoria Lynn thanks for stopping in! I love casseroles because you have leftovers! Yea!
Victoria Lynn on October 26, 2016:
I love casseroles! The cubed steak one reminds me of stroganoff. Looks yummy, I love the Mexican style ones. I've had hash brown casserole before and loved it. Your recipe looks divine! I'm pinning this one to my casseroles board!