Miriam has been a freelance writer since 2013. Born in Whittier, CA, she now lives in Ontario (California) with her husband and family.
A Quick and Tasty Casserole Made With Frito Corn Chips and Ranch Beans
I wanted to make a casserole that would taste like tamales because my family loves tamales, but I am not always in the mood to make them. I searched the Internet for a tamale pie, but I did not like the use of cornmeal for the "crust."
I found a recipe online called "Frito Pie," took a look at the recipe and decided to give it a try. My family liked it very much, but my husband and I have to watch our sodium due to high blood pressure, so instead of using regular Fritos corn chips, we bought the lightly salted Fritos, which contain half the sodium.
You will like this recipe. It only requires six ingredients and is ready to put in the oven in about 30 minutes. Baking time is only 20 minutes and it serves nine, so give this Frito casserole a try!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
9 servings of 8.6 ounces each
Frito Ranch Casserole Ingredients
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 package (9-3/4 ounce) lightly salted Fritos
- 2 15-ounce cans of ranch style beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 28-ounce can of Las Palmas enchilada sauce, mild
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 Celsius).
- Open bag of Fritos and measure out 1 cup for the topping; set aside.
- Take out a large baking pan (13" x 9") and spray it with Pam; line the bottom of the pan with the Fritos remaining in the bag.
- In a large frying skillet, cook the hamburger meat until brown. Next, stir in both (undrained) cans of beans and 2 teaspoons of onion powder.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the meat-beans mixture in the skillet, and heat thoroughly.
- Next, pour the contents of the skillet evenly over the Fritos in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over it all and top with reserved Fritos.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with Spanish rice.
- Makes 9 eight-ounce servings.
Please Rate This Frito Ranch Casserole
Steps 2 & 3:
Steps 4 & 5:
Step 6: Pour the meat-beans-onion-enchilada sauce over the Fritos.
Step 7: Topped with shredded cheese and reserved Fritos.
© 2018 Miriam Parker