Ham and Noodle Casserole: A Comfort Food Classic
This dish is just plain fabulous. Rich, creamy, and loaded with flavor—it's a winner all around. Whether you're roasting a ham specifically for this recipe or just trying to make the most of your leftovers, proceed with joy!
A friend of mine used to say that "eternity is two people and a ham"... meaning that sometimes it feels like you just can't use all the leftover ham no matter what you do! If that's your situation, this dish is the solution.
Other than ham, this casserole uses pantry staples: cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, noodles, and bread crumbs. The final dish is a comforting, delectable, creamy noodle dish that your entire family will love. It simply screams comfort food, and it's inexpensive to boot. How fun is that?
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 to 4 cups leftover ham, diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces Swiss or Gouda cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter generously a 9x13 baking dish, and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Stir together the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with kosher salt and black pepper and stir well.
- Stir in cooked egg noodles, and transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the noodle mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes or so, or until bubbly throughout and golden brown on top. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving, and enjoy!
© 2019 Jan Charles