Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
Ham and Noodle Casserole Is a Comfort Food Classic
The first thing I need to say here is that this dish is just plain fabulous. Rich, creamy, and loaded with flavor—it's a winner all around. So, if you want to just grab some ham at the grocery and make this casserole dish without roasting an entire ham first, go right ahead. I won't judge because I've done that myself. It's really delicious, the kids love it, it's easy and inexpensive—so it checks all the boxes.
However, if you have roasted a ham and now you're wondering what to do with the leftovers, this will hook you up. A friend of mine used to say that eternity was two people and a ham...meaning it sometimes seems like you just can't use up all the leftovers no matter what you do, and it ends up seeming as though you've been eating ham forever. This dish will rescue you, I promise. The ham is a side note, not the star, so you won't feel as though you're dragging out leftovers for eternity.
Other than the ham, this casserole uses pantry staples: cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, noodles, and bread crumbs. The final dish is a comforting, delectable, creamy noodle dish that your entire family will love. It simply screams comfort food, and it's inexpensive to boot. How fun is that?
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 to 4 cups leftover ham, diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces Swiss or Gouda cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter generously a 9x13 baking dish, and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Stir together the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with kosher salt and black pepper and stir well.
- Stir in cooked egg noodles, and transfer mixture to buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the noodle mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the cheese.
- Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes or so, or until bubbly throughout and golden brown on top. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving, and enjoy!
© 2019 Jan Charles